Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpentine belt routing help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Jul 11, 2003.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,
    Replaced the water pump tonight in the K5 and now when I turn on the A/C the belt squeals really bad and threw the belt off once... I think I may have routed the belt wrong. The tensioner doesnt have to be pulled very much to get the belt over all the pulleys the way I have it and doesnt seem as tight as it should be. Any pictures or diagrams would be great. Thanks!

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you have the correct length belt? Just remember that if the pulley has grooves in it, the inside of the belt faces that pully...If the pully is smooth, the backside of the belt faces that pulley...

Also, make sure that you have no grease on any of the pulley surfaces or on the belt...There is something screwy...you should have to move thetensioner quite a bit to get the belt on ...

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure the belt is the right lenght as I replaced it not too long ago, and it wasn't doing this before I swapped water pumps.

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Nevermind guys, I figured it out finally. Thanks for the tip fortcollinsram, it helped me realize where I went wrong.