Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serpentine conversion - alternator plugs not matching up!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Aug 1, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Today I was putting together all the serpentine brackets and accessories before I put them on the engine and when I put the alternator on I realized that the plug prongs were different than my old ones. Is there a way I can rig this up for it to work right or do I need to find a new wire plug?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

get your electrical pliers out and find the new style plug, cut, connect, pinch, done.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

GM has a conversion plug, part number is 12083462 and will cost ya about $20 from the dealer or GMPartsdirect.com

4. BayouBlazer88

Thanks. I'll look into it.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

6. BayouBlazer88

Just checked it out at Summit. With shipping its about the same price ($20), plus I already bought the one from GMpartsdirect. Then again I just ordered a reverse rotation clutch fan from summit so I wouldn't have had to pay the shipping from GMpartsdirect. Oh well, thanks for the info though.

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

hey, can ya give me some details on yur serpentine conversion ? im interested in doing this some time in the future. my motor in my rig is a 77'. please let me know process. thanks.

8. BayouBlazer88

I'd recommend finding a donor vehicle from a junkyard and get everything from there. GM put serpentine systems in 88 and up trucks and 89 and up blazers and suburbans so find one of these. First off you'll need all new accessories including power steering, alternator, water pump, reverse flow fan, and AC compressor if you have one. However all of these can be purchased from any parts store, but it gets expensive so try to use what you can off the donor vehicle. What you'll need to find is the 2 brackets that bolt to each side of the front part of the engine as well as the bolts and the tensioner. I haven't put it in yet so I don't know what kinds of problems I'll run into but it looks pretty simple. The driver's side bracket has 5 bolts and the passenger side has 4. I'll probably have it put together in about 2 weeks. If you want, I'll take some pictures of the completed conversion and send it to you. Just send me a PM in a couple weeks and I'll hook you up.

9. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

sounds cool. thanks. ill pm ya in a couple weeks. thanks.

10. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

just go to any parts store. I got mine from advance auto. Didn't cost that much as I can remember. no sweat. I think there is a brown wire that is not needed. As far as I can remember it wasn't needed when I did mine.

11. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

did u have to get the heads off the donor vehicle also ? i read in another post here, that some people had to, so that the accessory brackets would bolt up correctly.please let me know. many thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. BayouBlazer88

No, the heads are the same as far as the front mounting bolt holes go. So you don't need the heads from a donor vehicle, you can use your stock heads.