Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpentine Conversion, what to do about the compressor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, May 13, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88' K5 350 tbi and I'm considering finding a donor truck with a 350 (89 and later) to take the serpentine belt parts out of. First off, do I need to use the newer AC compressor and hoses since they switched to the passenger side? Second, what all do I need for the conversion other than belt, tensioner, and possibly compressor w/ hoses? Are the pulleys the same? thanks.

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

The brackets for the alternator, ps, and a/c are all different so get everything off the donor vehicle. I bet you can use your old a/c compressor, but you will probably need bolts, nuts and bracket from the donor. Your hoses may work since they dont need to be as long on the pass side

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what is this serpentine thing? please someone.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

serpentine belt, where one single belt drives all accessories rather than all those belts. Its ncie cause its just one belt then, looks cleaner, but its not so nice casue if that one belt breaks you lose all your accesories rather than just one.

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep in mind that its a hell of a lot easier to replace a Serpentine belt if it breaks. Stuff an extra one in the back. 10 minutes and your back on the road. You can't pull that off with the innermost V-belt.

The 350 I got to put into mine has already been converted to serpentine by my buddy. All pulleys will need to come from the serpentine setup and dont forget you will need to get a reverse rotation water pump, fan and clutch. This is because the WP,fan and clutch turn backwards as opposed to a v-belt. Without a change in the water pump and fan you will no doubt have a overheat problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. ZooMad75

Here is a link to my buddy's site with a pic of my 350 and the serpentine setup. He just finished putting the 454 in his truck and I picked up the 350 for cheap.

350 pic

7. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Can I use the reverse flow water pump, clutch, and fan from the donor vehicle, or should I buy a new one?

8. ZooMad75

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I use the reverse flow water pump, clutch, and fan from the donor vehicle, or should I buy a new one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats up to you. If the donor vehicle parts are not wore out, use them. Considering its cheap insurance you may want to get at least a new water pump.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahhh gotcha!! thanx! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif