Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serpintine belt squeek.***UPDATE***

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, Jun 22, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well, the water pump went out in the 93 burb. it the same time i was getting a good squeeking sound fron that area too so i thought it was the pump. well after the new pump went in it still squeeked. so i checked both the tension and idler pullies out. they seem do have some play and not role too smooth so i replaced them as well. well i still have a damn squeek. oh, and the alt was replaced last month (it all happens at once you know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) so all thats really left is the power steering pump or the ac. but with an ear to a long screwdriver i can't detect any sound from those to accessories and both are working fine. is it just the belt? its only a year old. anyone have this prob. the sqeek is anoying, like we have a little mouse under the hood, not constant, just a little cherp every few seconds.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: serpintine belt squeek.

yeah try some belt dressing you can get it at pretty much any auto parts store we use it at pep boys or just get a new belt!

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My Dad's '97 burb had the squeaky belt syndrome a while back. You're not supposed to use belt dressing on a serpentine setup, so I replaced the belt for him, and that cured the squeaks.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

man, the belt can't be more than a year old and looks good. hate to replace a good belt. could try it though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Strongbad kicks ARSE big time Go strongbad emails and songs!!

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Strongbad kicks ARSE big time Go strongbad emails and songs!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, don't use dressing and just put a new belt on, should fix ya right up.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

it has to do with my avitar. Homestarrunner.com. dorky as cartoons. my nephew turned me on to it months ago. some funny stuff but kinda out there.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if this applies to the 93s - but make sure the the P.S. pump pully is flush with the in-put shaft of the P.S. pump.
    The pully is pressed on to the shaft and should be flush. Some were installed too deep, causeing the belt to be miss-aligned and squeek. I've seen it on the big-blocks mostly.

Otherwise - replace the belt. if the W.P. gave it up, then the Alt. - who knows how much heat the belt was exposed to. Also- dirst and grim can build up in the grooves, no amount of "belt-dressing" (snake-oil) will rid the grime that has built up. Clean the pullys and replace the belt.

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well, after replacing both idler pulleys, sanding some rust off my crank and power steering pulleys i still had a sqeek. the water pump and alt are new. and the belt was less that a year old. still squeeks. i noticed my crank pulley has a slight wabble to it so i might replace it and see if that helps, but, just for sh!ts and giggles i put the old belt on i kept as a spare. no squeek /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. the old belt was the one that came on the vehicle when we baught it and i used it for three years before replacing it. it didn't look worn, but i was about to go on a long road trip and concidered it cheep insurance.

so basically my new belt squeeks like a mo fo- you can hear it a block away. and the old one is nice and quiet /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif are there different quality grades of belts? i thought they where all the same.

by the way, i also tried that belt dressing crap and it would stop the squeek right away. but it only lasted about 5 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what kind of belt did you put on it? i bought a gates for the 99 s-blazer, no problems with squeaking, gates are good stuff, as are the goodyear belts..

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the one that squeeks is a napa brand. the old one i put back on i can no longer make out the writing.

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the one that squeeks is a napa brand. the old one i put back on i can no longer make out the writing.

13. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

We use Gates exclusively at the shop I work at. The belt that was on my Jimmy squeeked and I threw a Gates on there and she stopped squeekin.

14. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem so I replaced it again with a gm belt and haven't heard a squeak yet!