Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpintine switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok thinking of switching to the serpintine setup but what all will I need and what other things have to be done??

2. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if they still carry it but Summit had a kit to do this it came with the pulleys, brakets and other hardware.

3. biobry

biobry Registered Member

I just picked up an entire serpentine setup at the local salvage yard that was from a totalled '97 Z71...included A/C Compressor, alternator, P/S pump, water pump, brackets and bolts...$250 out the door. If you can get lucky enough to catch a freshly wrecked truck coming in just buy everything on the front of the engine.

Good luck!

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. CaveBlazin

Will I need the A/C compressor? I thought I could just change the belt wheels? Im kinda new at the serp change over stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

I just did this a few weeks ago using everything from an 89 Suburban. Get all the brackets and accessories. I don't remember exactly, but I think the compressor bolts on differently than with the V-belt setup. You may need to cut the bracket by the fuel pump (if you have a mechanical one), because the empty spot for the smog stuff (?) gets in the way. I ran a new fuel line behind the bracket. Also, the thermostat housing may need to be changed; it may not let the existing hose clear the belt. You also need the water pump, because it turns in the opposite direction (as well as the fan). Hoses for the A/C compressor may be helpful, because they are shorter, but not completely neccesary.

Hope this helps. My swap works great, definitely better than those V-belts that would never stop squealing no matter what. I can take pictures if you need them.

Steven

6. CaveBlazin

Pics would be outstanding, if you can post them here but if not email them to harrissr@lejeune.usmc.mil
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

No problem on the pics... might be a few days because the Blazer is still in the shop, but I'll take down your e-mail and send them ASAP.

Steven

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have the cash, check out Pace Performance on the web. I know they have a complete serpintine setup for a few hundred bucks and comes with everything you need.

9. Nike

Nike Registered Member

I agree with going to the yard and getting everything off the front of the engine, including all pulleys. Do not forget the water pump, it drives off the back side of the belt and has a reverse flow impeller. Thanks Nike