Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

service engine light and then stall

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

ok....my service engine light came on when i was on the freeway. It was a code 42. I thought nothing of it until 30 miles later the truck had completly shut off on the freeway. It was pretty scary. I parked and then started it right up agian, no service engine light and then couple miles later same thing. what could be going wrong. I think my gas tank might be empy while my gauge is reading a half tank so i am going to test my theory at the gas station. please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this or just any help.

Thanks, Marshall

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/31"s

2. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Plenty of gas!!Does anyone know what the problem might be. the manual says VSS code signal noise. It also says could be short or open wire either fuel shut off, electronic spark control.

3. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I'm going through that myself,code 42 is electronic spark control, I havent pinpointed it yet (because it hasnt done it in 3 weeks) but the advice Ivegotten is:check the knock sensor, check the ignition module, check connections at the ecm. If your stalling, I would look at your pickup coil or ignition module, get a manual and a volt ohm meter, they are easy to check on the vehicle.I wish I could help more, but like I said, Im still dealing with it,If it comes back and I solve it, I'll let you know, good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Usually a code 42 is the ignition module or the pick up coil.
    beings it is stalling out my first guess would be the ign module.
    You can pull it out and have the ign module tested at an auto parts store like Napa.
    To check the pick up coil hook an ohm meeter between the green and white wire resistance should be between 500 -1500 ohms if out of these specs replace it. Check the white then the green wire for a short to ground. If there is a short in either wire the coil is bad.
    make sure to check all the wires and plugs to the dist mod, pick up coil and the ESC module for loose connections/wires
    Prolly not the knock sensor they set a code 43.

5. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I had this happen a few months ago, I replaced the ignition coil after going through everything else, no problems since. Good luck