Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Service Engine light...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KleanK5, Mar 26, 2000.

1. KleanK5

KleanK5 Registered Member

In the last month I've replaced my radiator, flushed the system, recharged the AC, thermostat, O2 sensor, heater core, water and PS pumps, TBI gasket, plugs, wires, ICM, distrib. cap, wires, ALL belts, and most hoses, new 'earl and a K&N.

Why now does my service engine light come on everytime I drive more than 5 miles? I have an '87 with 78K orig. mi. on it. The light never came on before.

I do need to replace my rear main seal, but the leak is minimal so I have'nt messed with it yet.

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You need to find out what the light is telling you. On my '89 there is terminal block to the left of the steering column under the dash. There are 2 rows of empty terminals. Make a U-shaped piece of wire and connect the top 2 terminals on the right, IGNITION OFF! Turn ignition on after terminals are shorted, Don't start the truck! The ses light should flash once, then twice. This indicates the # 12. This is normal. It will flash 12 three times. Now, the trouble codes start. It will continue flash codes. 4 flashes followed by 4 more is a 44 code,(lean condition) etc. The trouble codes are shown in most manuals or re-post here and we can probably hook you up. When the light comes around to 12 again, all the stored codes are done. All codes will repeat 3 times. Good Luck.
    John

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check for codes . Then check connections to all engine controls . Maybe one got loosened while working on engine .

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I am not sure but I believe I read on here somewhere that you can remove the battery cable for a bit and the computer will reset itself , reconnect the cable and see what happens.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

5. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm betting its code 32 EGR