Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Service engine soon lite in my 89 celebrity

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudRebel350, Aug 27, 2000.

1. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Ok, my 89 celeb hasnt been driven on the road since about april but i start it every couple of weeks and drive it around my stepdads farm and then park it. Today i started it up and drove it around the farm for about 5 minutes. Then i was sittin in it while it idled, the fan kicked on and the service engine lite went on. I went to check the codes with the flash method and it only gave my 12's, it said in my blazer/jimmy manual that if a code 12 comes on while driving there is no reference pulse coming from the distrubutor to the ecm, but there is no distributor in this car so what should I change or do? I would stop and restart the car a few times and it would take a minute or so for the lite to come on each time, so whats the deal here? I know its off topic but its a Chevy.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

You're probably going to have to buy/borrow or look at a Haynes or similar repair manual for your specific car. The codes probably mean different things than those of your K5. Unless they have the exact same engine/computer setup. Try going to your local auto parts store and look at the manual they have there. Otherwise, you may have to call a mechanic. Good luck.

Diesel

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.[​IMG]

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Find you a decent shop and have them slap the 'puter on it. Reading the codes usually only gives you part of the problem. Are you sure you jumped the right conections? I used to have a celibrity, and the darn thing wouldn't die, but I did have TONS of electrical gremlins with it.

Kyle
    89K5

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Try disconnecting the battery to clear the codes and try again. You can call Autozone (if there is one in your area) and ask them to tell you what the code #'s mean, or you can go up there and tell them the codes and they can print them out for you (this would be better). They are usually pretty long and they have some things on there on what to check and what might cause it to spit out this code(s). - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I have the hayne's computer code manual here, 12=diagnostic mode. Did you jump the aldl? If so you may be getting a code 33 from your mil light (sometimes it's hard to discriminate the pauses) and a 33 would lead you to check the following:map sensor: voltage high, map sensor low vaccum, or mass air flow sensor circuit or sensor. If you narrow it down and need references on how to test specific sensors, let me know. I've got several other manuals as well.

"who dares wins"