Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Service engine soon?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blueblazes, Nov 21, 2000.

1. blueblazes

blueblazes Registered Member

Hello all,

I just purchased a 89 Blazer k5 and I love it. There's something that disturbs me though. When I drive the truck, it starts and runs fine, but after a period of time (usually highway driving) the "service engin soon" light appears. After this, the engine still operates normally without any problems (that I can tell). When I turn the engine off and restart, the cycle repeats. Any solutions, comments, similar querks? Thanks, this forum is a big help!

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I sometimes have the same problem with mine. It took me a while to figure it out but I finally kinda did. It's hard to notice it with your windows up, but last summer I found out that right before the light came on I could hear my engine pinging. Then the light would come on. At the time I was using regular unleaded, I switched to Plus and I very rarely have it happen anymore. I think it is the timing. But since the type of gas pretty much fixed mine I'm not worried to much about it. You might wanna try Plus next time if you don't already.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Check your O2 senson. I had the same problem with mine and that wsa what it was. Replaced mine several times, now I just put a piece of electrical tape over the light.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

4. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I was getting that as well, only would come on after a long ride, checked the codes and it was the EGR valve, doesnt come on at all now.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

my 87 jimmy does the exact same thing. from what i have figured out on mine it has to do with the o2 sensor and the fact my truck does not have a catalityc converter on it. my truck runs good and does not ping from what i can tell thought the 3" exhaust is rather loud at highway speeds. i was just going to tape over it like was suggested earlier. just some more info for you.

Craig

[​IMG]

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Don't usually post, but had to!

Service Bulletin Number: 88-33
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 148
    Date of Bulletin: 8707
    NHTSA Item Number: 94329
    Make: CHEVROLET TRUCK
    Model: BLAZER
    Year: 1987
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
    Summary: REVISED PROMS-TO IMPROVE DRIVEABILITY (ROLLING, HUNTING, SURGING, DETONATION, PO OR ACCELERATION/STARTING) AND ELIMINATE FALSE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHTS (FALSE CODES 24, 43, 54)-REPAIRED BYINSTALLING NEW REVISED PROMS FROM CHART ATTACHED-AL L 1987 CHEVROLET BLAZER, SUBURBAN, G VANS AND 1988 C/K TRUCKS W/5.0L (VIN CODE H ) AND 5.7L (VIN CODE K) ENGINES AND LIGHT DUTY EMISSIONS

7. Bri's88Jimmy

Bri's88Jimmy Registered Member

After I got my engine rebuilt about 500 mi the light came on only going up steep hills, called my engine guy and he said it may be a code in the computer. I havent brought it down yet and I have put 5,000 mi on it going up and down the same hill and no light. It may work it self out.
    hope this helped
    Brian