Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

service manuals - CUCV maintenance manuals or '86 Chevy FSM set?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Jan 25, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Looking to get a service manual set for Big Ugly and have two options basically:

1. military CUCV service manuals. There seem to be several, I've heard they can be rather complex, and I'm having trouble locating them in paper form. Lots of them on CD if I choose to go that route.

2. Genuine 1986 Chevy FSM set. I know where there's a set but dunno if it's worth my time and money to get them since the CUCV's are somewhat different.

I guess a third option could be both.

Any of you CUCV guys gone through this?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Both. The Army manuals are not so good to find things in quickly... though the PDF versions are handy for that. See below.

The FSM are nice for us shadetree mechanics ... I use all three, FSM, Chilton's / Hayne's, and the Army books, depending on need and speed.

DON'T BUY A CD, for God's sake, as the manuals are free :) I have the relevant ones on my Brochures page along with a link to the Army site to get them:

http://brochures.slosh.com

-- A

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Cool, I'm going to go make a call about the FSM set.

I'll have to bookmark your page. Thanks.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I have several different sets as well, a hayes, a clymer and a GM Diesel Tech manual. I also have the Mil PDF manuals, one or two from Dremu (thanks!), I do find I like to thumb through them and you can't do that with PDFs:( but they are good to print out a couple of pages to scribble, dribble, and smear all over.;)