Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Servicing Maunal Hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Feb 17, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Hi guys. I recently noticed on my 89 K5 that my hubs seemed to be getting too hot. They were not scalding hot but I couldnt leave my hand on it for at least 5 seconds. This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle and I'm guessing they should'nt be this hot. My only guess is to grease up the hub but is there a proper way of doing this without messing them up? By the way they are Mile Marker hubs. Thanks.

Matt

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

wheel bearing need grease in all likelihood, and if they are that hot the bearings & races are probably screwed, so will prob need new for both.

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ya matt u definetly need to grease them i might even suggest new bearings i doubt them or ur t-case have anything in them from what uve told me!. go mudding tomorrow with us we got plenty of chain and straps to get u out. we gotta make sure that 4wd works right!
    hahaha
    austin

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

O ya, forgot to add, if you run it like that too long, the bearings can seize to the race and/or to the spindle. I remember someone saying that happened to a buddy of theirs a yr or so ago.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

front brakes dragging??

You may have a caliper hanging up and keeping the front brakes on slightly,when you take it off to do the wheel bearings,you can tell by how hard it is to push the piston in it back in to allow removal,if it seems ok,clean off the bolts and guides and use never seize or hi-temp brake grease on them to prevent sticking and dragging brakes..the hubs shoudnt get that hot,unless your touching them right after a high speed stop..:crazy:

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It is possible that your brakes are sticking. After driving for a while, smell inside the wheel and see if you can smell burning hot brakes. My guess would be that your wheel bearings have no grease in them. The best way to tell is to take the hub apart. To do this you will need various dental picks, some snap ring pliers, a hub nut socket (which you can rent or buy at most autoparts stores), and some patience. Its not really very complicated, just put everything back in the same way it came out. Make sure that you dont get any dirt in the hub whatsoever when you put it back together. Also be sure to use high temp wheel bearing grease (I like to use valvoline durablend semi-synthetic or full-synthetic grease). If you do determine that it isnt the brakes sticking and that it is the wheel bearings, you need to get that fixed asap. Dont go fourwheeling tomorrow!!! Driving without grease in the hub can cause serious damage to your truck and even you. With no grease, the wheel bearings can sieze to the spindle, resulting in not only you having to buy a new spindle, but it is possible that this could make your wheel fall off, in turn, endangering your life!! You need to get this fixed immediately. If your hubs are getting as hot as you say they are, you will more than likely need new races too. These need to be pressed in. If I were you, I would do this before I drove the truck anywhere again!
    -Harrison

7. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I got one hub changed out today and the races and bearings were gone. Found quite a bit of mud and water too. From what I took off and observed the previous owner tightened the hub down way to tight when he put on the manual hubs, thus damaging the bearings and races. I dont even thing he used the right tools looking at some of the parts. Thanks again!

Matt

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

damn matt u need to give kevin hell about the crappy job he did on those hubs haha get that thing back together so u can go to almeda with me and justin