Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Set timing on an 85 ? And Story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Jun 8, 2003.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Is there a trick to setting the timing on an 85 Blazer?I have searched the subject but can't find any info on mid 80's junk. It has a CC HEI and a CC quadrajet. Just finished putting new motor, carb, and all new sensors in the truck and it still runs like crap /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Checked all vacuum lines, plug wires and electrical connections, and can't find anything loose or missing. It is missing at idle and starts to miss worse at around 2000rpm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Thought maybe a distributor problem, but my new one is not here yet.I know on the Camaro's there is a wire you need to disconnect first prior to setting the timing, but is it on the Blazers, and where would it be?

Also thinking maybe ECM? Any help greatly appreciated, even maybe oppions on what is wrong.

I am at my witts end. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I thought there was only a plug to find on FI 87+ models.... I'd try restabbing the distributor first, any other symptoms that its timing like backfiring or fireballs out the carb?

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

No fireballs, but at one point it did pop out the back about 4 or 5 times, then it stopped /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Im with Bowtie, maybe try and TDC on number one and install the distributor in again.

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly, I don't think it's going to be that easy. This has been an on going problem for years, it just has never been this bad. The whole new parts swap was brought about by this or a related symptom. It just seems to be really bad now with the new motor and carb.