Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting lifters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY, Apr 29, 2003.

1. BIGCHEVY

BIGCHEVY Registered Member

i am setting the lifters in my 454 and i can't find what gap they have to be at. or do i just tighten them til that infernal click goes away?? i need help quick. i don't want to run it anymore when it is clicking like this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif oh btw it is in a fullsize /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif if that makes a difference. bigchev454@hotmail.com

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

there's no real way to meassure the gap unless you have solid lifters. the way I was tought to do it is lossen them until they clakc, then tighten until they just stop, then go 1/2-3/4 of a turn more. pretty simple and effective.

-Scott

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup, that's how you do it with the engine running.

With the engine off: grab a pushrod, twist and pull it up and down until there is no more lash. At that point, tighten an additional 1/2-3/4 turn.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

yep you got it, do 3/4 of a turn.

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there's no real way to meassure the gap unless you have solid lifters. -Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.......I assume you have a hydralic cam? If you do any of the adjustment procedures listed below and you have a solid you have the chance of screwing stuff up big time. Better figure out what you have.

I prefer to set mine before I start the motor. Setting them while running is a big nasty mess that I prefer to avoid. The only problem is I find it very difficult to find 0 lash by the spinning the pushrod method.

The way I find 0 lash on a hydralic cam is the only real effective way IMO but it requires the intake to be off. You basicly start tightening the rocker down till you see the plunger of the lifter start to move, then back it off a hir till you get the plunger back to the top of its travel. IMO there is just too much room for error by doing the spinn the pushrod method but it works for some people, I just dont like it.

If its together I just do the losen it till it clacks then tighten her up approach. Messy but it works.

And I go 1/2 a turn. I think you will get more debate on how many turns to go when adjusting a cam then the good old ford vrs chevy debate /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif A hydralic cam dosnt really need to be as precise as you think, it aint a really big deal.

BTW was it quiet at one time and now noisy? Mabey have rocker nuts backing themselvs off?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    And I go 1/2 a turn. I think you will get more debate on how many turns to go when adjusting a cam then the good old ford vrs chevy debate

[/ QUOTE ]

Car c\Craft just did a "study" on this, and as I recall, the results were basically "it doesn't matter much as long as it doesn't make noise and isn't excessively tight" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've found that on a high lift cam coupled with a high oil pump. 1/4 after click seems to work better for high rpm stuff. But yeah, hydraulic has a lot of "give".

8. BIGCHEVY

[ QUOTE ]

BTW was it quiet at one time and now noisy? Mabey have rocker nuts backing themselvs off?

[/ QUOTE ]

it has never really been quiet. ever since i got it it has been clicking. but it seems to be getting worse now. i was thinking that the rocker nuts have been loosening themselves off but i have never even had the covers off so i don't know. i am going to be taking the truck over to a buddy's place this weekend to set it up. another question i have is; if the rockers have been loose for quite a while could that cause valves to burn out?? i have a bit of a pop now too that i never had the last time i drove it. i haven't drove the truck for about a year and a half now and all these things are happening now. i am kinda confused with it. because it ran good when i last drove it other than the lifters clicking. i will probably try the run and tighten method because it sounds to be the simplist way. i just wanna go out playing in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, the idea is to compess the plunger about 1/2-way into the lifter...When I built my 454, I took all the slack out (to where the lifter was about to compress) and then did 3/4 to 1 turn more...that gets the plunger about 1/2 into the lifter

Chris

10. BIGCHEVY

we tightened them 1/2 turn past where it was clicking and now it runs soooooo quiet. it is nice. thank you all for the info. it was very much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif