Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting low pass crossover level?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by taterblazer, Dec 8, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

All my stuff is starting to show up. Bought some local to. The PPI amp has an adjustable crossover but the crossover adjustment isn't marked and the detents(clicks) are undetectable. Is there a radio shack meter or other that can determine the frequency level that is being set by the crossover. Also what would a good low pass level be? I know subjective but just a rough idea. I've heard 85 and 100. Thanks all!

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What size sub(s) are you going to use?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. taterblazer

Got one infinity kappa 12". I figured out my question to. What I need is a CD with sound at the given frequency. Say 100hz. They call them test cd's. The ISCAA(whatever) has one and I've seen some others. Just pop it in, choose the track, see what sound comes out. Tweek the crossover.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are test CD's that will play sinewaves for low frequency stuff.....you could use one of those with a Radio Shack SPL meter to determine at what frequency the subs are "rolling off" on the high end.

OR

Just play some music with all the other speakers disconneced....just play the subs. Listen for traces of the singers voice playing through the sub.....that's TOO high. Try to back off that knob until you ONLY hear low-frequency vibrations, and the boom....boooom.....booom.....of low bass information...Not very scientific, but it really is a perfectly good way to do it. If you let the "voices" come through the sub, you'll be able to localize the subwoofers, and it will pull your front 'image' all out of whack.

That's how I 'verified' all my wiring in my own system.....I'd only play one speaker at a time, and make sure that it was passing the correct sounding frequencies.

It should work fine for you.... Good Luck, and don't forget to post pics as you go!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. taterblazer

Gee now I need pics? LOL.. Ok you caught me, I do have a digicam. Honestly, my install is so basic compared to yours and others that it's not really photo worthy. I'm just getting a prebuilt box and attatching it to something in the back. Maybe the tire. Speaks are going in the side panels by the passenger seat unless I change my mind. I'll get a pic of that. My doors don't have any hidden spaces in them at all and I'm concerned about putting expensive speakers on the floor in kicks. My amp mounting might look pretty neat. Going to attach it and probably the crossovers to a piece of mbf and then attach it to one of the sides in the rear of the blazer. Then I need a grenade attached for theft provention, hehe. That sounds like a good way to tune the sub also. Nice and simple. I'll probably get a cd with the frequencies to. Sent Diamond a less than nice email about their manual for the speaks. Doesn't even give you the high pass crossover point or tell you how the computer programmable crossovers work. I know I probably can't program them but you would think they would still tell you more about it. They'll probably ad my email to the recycle bin. LOL