Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting timing -- anything special I need to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Nov 5, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm going to set the timing for the first time sometime this week. Other than the directions in Chiltons and the directions that came w/ the timing gun, is there anything special I should look out for?

I'm going to start out at 8 BTDC (per factory) but I know my engine was rebuilt at some point so I'm guessing the right timing is somewhere between 8 and 10. How will I know where the timing sweet spot is? Sound of engine?

Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just keep advancing it until you can detect a little bit of pinging when you lug it in too tall of a gear. Then back it off a couple degrees and that should be pretty dang close to the sweet spot. ALso, hope that your timing mark is accurate, sometimes the damper slips or the mark was not reinstalled, then you have a bit of a headache on your hands trying to find TDC. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

More than you ever wanted to know. But if you do it right, you should be able to get great power and great gas mileage (14- 15 MPG).

http://www.73-87.com/garage/101s.htm

Good luck.

BTW: I am getting 14 mpg with my 383. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Awsome link! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is some after dinner reading. Nice find! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One more thing to add to that article, and I only want to say this because you mentionned that you want the optimal for your rebuilt engine:
    Another thing to look for when you want to set your initial timing is vaccum.
    Get yourself a vaccum guage and try and get the most vaccum from your timing, or put simply: adjust to get the most vaccum.
    Some tired engines like more advance to run better, tighter engines like less so go with vaccum and you will get closer to what your engine wants.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

ICEman - exactly!
    You will want to get an adjustable vaccuum canister. This way you can set it up to your specific engine.

For more reading check out Mike's Ignition topics.

http://www.73-87.com/garage/garage.htm

Scroll down to "IGNITION:"

Or for more info on vaccuum advance (this is where economy is made) -
    http://www.73-87.com/garage/hei.htm

Of course he talks about HEI, but points can be used here as well.

I found SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE between points and HEI, I recommend EVERYONE to get an HEI module based ignition. Make sure you get a non-computer controlled version if you have a non-computer controlled engine.

Loads of fun. I spent all weekend dialing mine in, BUT it has paid off!

Have FUN!

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

This is a good point too but what I am talking about is, instead of trying to get 8 or 10 or 12 degrees initial timing, try and get the most vaccum. On one of my tired engines I had to go with 16 initial to achieve max vaccum, and also at the same time you should adjust your mixture to get closer to 20-25PSI vaccum.
    On a rebuilt engine I got the best with 4 degrees.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, engine vacuum... not vacuum advance. I get it now.

That's a good point. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks a ton everyone! I really appreciate the info and will try to remember to let you all know how it goes. Going to be 70 degrees here later this week, probably my last window of opportunity before it gets cold! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif