Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting up 14BFF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wforicv, Aug 16, 2005.

1. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Swapping in a open carrier (with a new spool :D ) into my 14BFF that came with a gov-lock. I marked the adjustment nut positions before removal. The pinion has not been touched. The two carriers are different widths, right? The marks I made are not going to be correct. I have downloaded the military installtion from Pirate 14B Bible, but it shows to preload and then use the dial indicator gauge (which I do not have). Can someone help me out with this? I also had to put new carrier bearings in if that matters.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I can set up backlash on most carriers without a dial gauge and get it in the "ball park", however i have set up many a gear set. If you don't know what you are doing i suggest you get one.

All you have to do is install the carrier and turn the caps until you get the correct BL then run the gear pattern to double check it all. If you need more explanation just ask

3. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Thanks readymix. So if I did not touch the pinion, the depth should be fine, right? I just need to worry about the backlash which I can get close by using marking dye?

Eric

4. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you did not mess with the pinion then the depth should be fine.

You still need a dial indicator to measure the BL.
    The marking dye is used to check the gear pattern and won't tell you anything about your BL unless you have it way open. Since you are unexperienced, i would suggest that you do not used Prussian Blue for your marking dye. Since it is dark it can be a real PITA to read. You should be able to get the yellow dilut at pep-boys or Napa. Just remember to mix in a little 80-90 to thin it out a little bit.

After you run the pattern post up a few pics or e-mail them to me (I will post them) and i will tell you what needs to be chaged.

I know this is all foreign to you now but after you do it once all the terminology and steps starts to make sense...then you will be on the easy road if you ever need to do it again.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

If you are using a new carrier (spool) and new bearings then the alignment marks on the adjusters for the old carrier (gov lock) and old bearings are no help to you at all. You need a dial indicator to set the backlash, no way around it. Your not changing the pinion depth so all you have to do is set the backlash. It's very easy on 14s.

i agree post pics so we can tell you if your off

7. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I will pickup a dial indicator gauge. I will be doing some gear swaps in the future so it will be a wise investment. :bow: