Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting up a 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPER'BURB, Aug 16, 2006.

1. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the 14bff is one of the easiest rears to set up, but it would be my first gear change so.......

For somebody who is reasonably mechanicaly inclined how difficult is it to change the geares in a 14bff?

Can it be done in the rig or should it be removed?

How long should it take, any special tools and are there any write ups you guys know about?

As always thanks for the direction guys:bow:.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Gears aren't too difficult to set up, but you have to be careful. It really helps to have someone who has done them help you. Luckily, you have CK5 :D. Once you setup your gears and think you have it right, post pictures of your gear pattern here and myself or someone else on this site can tell you if it is good to go. You can do this with the axle under the truck. You will need a pair of calipers (to measure the shims), a dial caliper (to measure backlash) and an inch pound torque wrench. There is a writeup on how to setup gears here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

Feel free to ask any more questions on here!

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have never done them before expect it to take a long time mabey even as long as two solid days, you will probably get furstrated along the way swear alot and then get back to it. 14bff are easy to setup and with all the proper tools you can do such even if its your first one. Make sure you have all the specs and read the article on Pirate and download Yukon gears catalog.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dial or digital calipers, a dial INDICATOR with a magnetic base, and a torque wrench.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It took me about 5 days every day after work to set mine up. Prolly a total of 10-12 actual work hours. The crush sleeve was the actual HARD part because it takes so much force to crush it. The pattern part is just trial and error and lots of pic posting. Everything is easy to adjust on a 14B but it's all time consuming. It was a good learning experience. I set up used 14B 4.11's so I wasn't as concerned about doing it wrong as if I would have been with a brand new set of 5.13's or something. Research a lot, and be prepared before you start.:wink1:

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I haven't set up gears in a 14bFF but I did do them in my 10bolt. This video I got helped alot and pointed me in the right direction. I recomend buying this and watching it so you know what you are getting yourself into before buying any parts or tools.

Also you probably need access to a hydrolic press.

You can set up gears with the axel still under the truck.

Good luck!! :waytogo:

EDIT: Also don't do what I did and fudge up the threads on the tip of the pinion shaft by banging on it with your BFH. I took it to 2 machine shops and they couldn't save the threads. So I had to throw $150 worth of ring and pinion gears in the trash.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You dont HAVE to have a press but it is nice, I like using it for starting the crush sleeve and especially for pressing on bearings. Its really not difficult to do but if you are not a diligent person or dont have patients to get it right then dont bother because there is only a right way and a wrong way, no in between. I reccomend you read read read, the more you know..... It doesnt take long to do (unless your carrier is fubar'ed, but thats another story) just make sure you get the right tools. A tool that you will need to do this correctly but probably dont have is that inch pound torque wrench, you need a dial type one that ranges from about 0-75 in/lb. I bought a new snap on, from ebay, for $70 plus shipping. It was a smoking deal considering its a $350 torque wrench.

I personally like to have axle out of the truck, it makes it a little easier to work on. and they come out so easy, a few bolts for the leafs, driveline, brakes, and your good to go. It saves me headache from climbing under the truck and you will have to multiple times, back and forth. I would read alot, then if you have any specific questions ask them on here and then go to town. And if you run into any snags along the way, ask again on here. Setting gears is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be, once you understand them they become terribly simple.

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

what about a detroit?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am also thinking about ordering a detroit to go in it.

Would that cause any problems?

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

only if you hate traction....:D