Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting up a network

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Sep 14, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

We have 3 computers in our apartment in 2 rooms and I want to set up a network to share internet. We are getting DSL, but have nothing so far. Could someone explain what will be needed for wireless or maybe just running a cord down the hall instead? I was looking at compusa.com and saw routers, hubs, and all kinds of other stuff. Little confused. TIA

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Email me or call me.. I just set up wireless at my house with DSL... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of options out there for this. I would suggest the Linksys telephone system networking cards (a lot cheaper than wireless) I have used them in many different places, and never had a problem with them.
    You will also want a firewall of some sort. A $50 D-Link DSL Router will take care of that nicely.
    This site covers just about all of it for you, with some nice tutorials:
    Home Networking

And, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I do this stuff for a living.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

linksys smallpurple DSL router is what you want to get, this will also provide a firewlalfor the network, built in, i have oen sitting right here in front of me right now.im looking at it, got mine through local DSL provider, it waslike 70 bucks, and WELL worthit and i have not seen a better deal anywhere yet.
    on windows XP its a breeze to setup, not relaly any setting up about it, the wizard does it all real quickly, so 90% plug and play after a few mouse clicks

good luck