Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting up a stereo on a house boat questions.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87GMCJimmy, Nov 16, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

My boss just bought an older house boat and wants to upgrade the stereo. I've been on other house boats where they use a car stereo head unit and several sets(like 5)of coaxial speakers with each set of speakers having an on/off switch. All the speakers can be on or just one set. How do you wiring this up so you don't put unreasonable impedence loads on the amplifier? Do you set up some type of impedence matching system so that adding/subtracting sets of speakers doesn't really affect the load on the amp? Is there any special hardware or do you just wire it up parallel and hope it doesn't blow the amp? You could have some parrallel and some serial?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not sure how the factory sets it up, but if you've got the money, you could do a multi amp set up with each amp powering it's own set of speakers. Each amp could be turned on or off with a toggle switch in the remote wire. If you're just running some regular speakers, you won't need big amps. Now some subs on a boat would be pretty kewl !!!!!!

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

maybe greg can chime in on this one, my experience when I worked in the marine industry I never had to deal with large quantites of speakers except on the large boats, but those had rack systems like a house so it was different... I'd think you could just run a couple small amps that can handle the difference in loads and just switch the speakers in pairs, so the amp would just from 2 ohm, to 4, to 8, etc.......

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You would hook the amp up to an ohm adjuster (speaker selector) and then out to the speakers. That way each input channel always sees a 4 ohm load no matter what the outputs. Jamo and Pheonix Gold both make units like this.

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

This is what you are looking for...

[​IMG]

http://www.sonance.com/elect/ss6.htm

The Sonance SS6 will automatically maintain an 8 ohm impedance for up to six pairs of speakers, AND keep a resistive load on the amps with all the speakers off. Remember, you will need adequate power if you plan to run all the speaker pairs at the same time. Also, the volume level will drop slightly each time you add a pair of speakers.

6. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply's, I really don't think that it's anything that fancy. Maybe but I don't see it. Just thinking about it, if you have 4 sets of 8ohm speakers and a deck that has front/rear outputs you could run is just off the deck and use switches. The load would never be more then 4ohm.

Mike

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You will need to take into consideration that the speakers you be using are more then likely 4 ohm not 8 ohm like most home speakers.

I will get you all the prices you requested tom at work ;-)