Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting up CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by GrandNat86, Mar 28, 2001.

1. GrandNat86

GrandNat86 Registered Member

The '87 K5 I just bought has a CB radio and a 4' whip antenna mounted on each mirror bracket, but the antennas are not wired to the radio. I was wondering what I will nedd to hook these two antennas to the CB radio? Do I need a special type of cable for dual antennas and how do I splice the two together? Also, do I need to worry about the length of the cables? Any online places to order from with reasonable prices? Thanks for any Help.

--------
    Rob Andersen
    '87 K5 Silverado
    '86 Buick Grand National

2. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Find a truck stop...they have all the crap youl need at a reasonable price...then you will need a 3 prong conector...basicaly it plugs into the cbs normal point and gives you 2 plug points for 2 antennas...then just get 2, 5 foot lenghts of cable and run them under the dash over under the trim to the rubber weather striping for you door run it up the lenghth of it to the point where the wing windows would be and take the cables out throu the wing windows...thats what I did...it cost me about 20 bucks..if you would like go to www.freeforever.coloradok5.com and I have pics kinda showing what im talking about.
    if you have more questions send me a private message.

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Or they make an antenna cable that has two inputs and one output(going into the CB) They are pretty cheap and saves you from buying 3 cable and an adapter. They can be found where most CBs are sold.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I second emmettology's suggestion because those harnesses use 75 ohm coax which is designed to run 2 antennas. The regular coax is 50 ohm and is designed for 1 antenna.

[​IMG]