Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting up gears, marked, tel me what i need to do to get it on the money!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

you can tell it was ran a little like this, what do I need to do to tighen it up and center the pattern on the gears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

*edit* its tight and very little lacklash but the markings look a little off to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Are you getting any weird noises from the rear?

The wear doesn't look all that off to me, from where i can see the wear pattern on the metal area itself, not the orange stuff.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

BTW, is this on the front, or rear diff?

4. jjlaughner

front and its not installed, just picked it up and wanted to check it. the inside edges have some funny wear, the pattern is on the inside the teeth, its not bad but I just wanted to check it before I toss it under the truck

I didn't have any marking compound so I used some hightemp grease /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]
    Before the grease

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm thinkin it could probably use a few less shims on the pinion, but in all reality, i wouldn't worry about it too much being in the front, if it were in the rear and used on a constant basis, i would have it reset.

Really depends on what kind of off road driving you will be doing with it i guess. Major, heavy duty use, or just the casual mud or hill climb?

Casual use, don't worry about it, heavy duty,extreme type stuff, reset it.

I noticed it has a spool installed, thats why i was asking if this was in a front or rear.

6. jjlaughner

yeah its in the front, I'm thinking about swapping in a lockright when I do the 8 lug conversion /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeremiah,
    Alot of racers set gears up in this manner, with the pattern on the toe end of the gear tooth because thinking is gear pressure will spread towards the heel of the tooth. Backlash will move that pattern too, so if you don't have .008-.012-.015max backlash I suggest setting that then seeing what you have.
    I have gear compound, bearing puller and indicator so if you wanted to bring it with you next Sat. go right ahead and we can check it out.
    Remember two things that always crosses me up.
    1. read the pattern as if it is in contact with the pinion not as rotated out. As rotated out, it looks as if you need to add shim to move the head out, but reallity as the ring is in contact with pinion, you would need to remove shim to move the head of the pinion in. (seems confusing but think about and you'll get it).
    2. The front is driven off the coast side of the tooth. Still set up using the drive side but it gets confusing which side should I set up on.

I'd run it if back lash is set ok.

8. jjlaughner

without putting the gauge on it I would say the backlash is VERY tight. I will toss the axle in the pickup when I come down /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'm hoping to have the plow truck running by the 24th (it may not have seats by then). BUT, I hurt my back yesterday so I'm going not going to be out the next fews days working on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Figures it was crappy and looked like it was going to rain for the last week or so, now its going to be sunny and in the 60's today, lower 70's tomorrow and upper 70's friday with sun and I'm stuck inside /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif