Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

setting up gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Feb 6, 2007.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I need new gears in my 10b front, and I really dont know how to set up gears, but I was wondering if you could check the gear pattern with a drill attached to the pinion and no oil/ axle shafts in it( while the axle was out), or do I need to have stress put on it by driving? Any pointers would be nice though, or anyone willing to sell a good set of 4.10 gears would also be nice.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

NO drill
    NO driving without gear oil

Yes - read the article on Pirate

4. neverendingproject

Im now seriously thinking on taking it to a shop. I dont want to spend the money, but it looks far too time consuming and tenuous for a novice.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Its not terribly difficult if you can read, understand, read, understand and repeat. Then you have to have the patience to do it right. Many people will tell you that you simply cannot learn to do gears by reading and/or by having someone show you. This is partly true as I learned how to do gears via lots of reading and asking a few questions on here (thanks again readymix). There is no in between with gears, they are either pretty much right or they are incorrectly setup. For a "novice" you certainly should consider a shop doing it to be certain they are right. There are also a few speciality type tools you need to do the install properly. It is time consuming and takes patience but it is quite rewarding to do yourself. Let us know if you have questions if you do undertake it yourself, its not an easy task but is fun to do.

6. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

What kind of tools?

7. neverendingproject

I think he's talking about a magnetic base dial indicator and possibly a case spreader.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You also need a torque wrench that measures inch pounds and a set of calipers to measure the shims. You'll also need access to a press or pay someone to press bearings on and off for you.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats what i did, i did wana risk ruining my new parts. i paid $375 for both axles geared. i took them to the shop completely disassembled.

10. neverendingproject

They can do the gears if I just take them the axle? From the pirate post, it seemed like the axle was supposed to be in the vehicle.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

doesnt need to be in the vehicle. i took my axles out and took them apart. they said it would be $500 per axle if they were in the truck, and $200 each if i brought them in dis-assembled. it takes alot less time when they are out of the vehicle

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did my 14FF on the jackstands and it was the first time I setup a gear set.

As for the front 60 I need a set of calipers to measure shims and also a way to measure pinion depth to do it properly but I will do it myself like the rear.

Ira

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yes as mentioned you will need a DIAL type inch pound torque wrench, dial indicator with magnetic base, a micrometer, decent clicker type torque wrench something that reads like 20-100 ft.-lbs. and other assorted sockets.

I guess you could get away without an impact wrench (makes tearing everything back apart much easier), a press (although giong to make your life hell but if you HAD to do it you might be able to get away with it. And some sort of bearing remover, preferably a clamshell type but I used a 2 jaw puller and got the bearing off. For dana axles a case spreader is recommended but it seems that most people dont use one.

Well the more I think about I cant really think of a way around it without using a press. It would seem all but impossible to install/remove bearings without damage unless you had a press.