Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting up pinion.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jun 12, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK I am just getting ready to go to work and I am trying to figure out if there is an easy way to set up the pinion for my 14b without putting it in the axle (ie.pinion depth, and preload). Has anybody done this? What did you use to hold the pinion. I was just thinking this would be way easier to have it all set up and ready to bolt in adjust backlash and there ya go. I don't know am I thinking crazy here or what? Let me know Thanks

-Brian

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I put my pinion housing into a 7" vice and pulling on a 3/4" breaker bar with 5-6 feet of 1.5" DOM on that I managed to completely blow apart my vice and break my workbench in half as well... All in one big pull... So yeah you better find something realllllly hefty to hold it while you crush that crush sleeve. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I just use an Impact gun cause thats nice and easy.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

IIRC the Pinion Bearing Preload and Depth are adjusted in two different ways. It seems you are referring to setting the Pinion Bearing preload by using the vice. I think it would work fine, if you can get a vice to withstand about 200-400 foot pounds. Meaning, you will need to put a good amount of torque to get the bearing set at the Inch Pounds rotational torque required. Remember, once you begin to crush the sleeve, the preload will go up exponentially! Once you get the bearing preload set, then you can set the pinion depth by shimming between the pinion bearing housing and axle housing.

This is done just the opposite on other axles like a 12 bolt. You set pinion depth first, then you crush the sleeve and set bearing preload.

Heres some specs: http://www.drivetrain.com/gm10.5.html

5. MTBLAZER89

But how do I keep the pinion from spinning while I "tighten"? without breaking it also. I am going to pre-crush the sleeve with a press too. Ohh yeah depth is set with shims between the pinion housing and axle housing correct?

-Brian

6. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

You can try putting the yoke on and then clamping that in the vise but it's still a PITA if you don't have an inpact wrench /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    But how do I keep the pinion from spinning while I "tighten"? without breaking it also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you have a few methods to choose from here. This really depends on how you tighten the pinion nut. With a strong impact gun or with a breaker bar and long pipe.

If with a strong impact, then you just set it up in a good vice, have someone hold the pinion with a large set of channel locks so it won't spin, and slowly tighten the pinion nut and checking the rotational torque needed to spin the pinion. On a new bearing the range is 25-35 inch lbs. On old bearings the range is 15-25 inch lbs.

Now if you are trying to tighten the pinion nut down with a large breaker bar and long extension pipe like I did, then you'll need to secure the pinion so that it doesn't spin on you. The best tip I have for you on this method is to install the pinion housing onto the axle. Put all 6 bolts in and tighten it down nice and snug. Then you'll need to fab something up that will hold the pinion from spinning. What I used was a 6' piece of 1/4" plate that was 3" wide. I drilled 2 holes in it that matched one side of my pinion ujoint cap bolts and bolted it down. I hung it over on the drivers side and let it sit on the ground, so that when you would tighten the pinion nut, the pinion couldn't go anywhere as it was essentially trying to press into the ground (concrete). I would tighten the nut and check pinion pre-load. It took a while with this method, but I didn't have a strong enough impact gun so I had to do my best with what I had.

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to pre-crush the sleeve with a press too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried doing that with my 12 ton shop press and could only get about .002" of pre-crush with it. I found that when tightening the nut with my large breaker bar that the crush sleeve went ahead and crushed rather easily on its own there.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ohh yeah depth is set with shims between the pinion housing and axle housing correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is correct. Pinion depth isn't something you can just throw a shim on and then only worry about the backlash. Be prepared to take the pinion housing off a few times with different shims to get the right gear pattern. Each time you adjust the pinion depth I'm sure you'll know that you will also be re-adjusting the backlash. This is where a dial indicator comes into play.

Anyways, I hope this helps. The job is fairly easy. I am in the process of writing an article on the "GM Corporate 14 Bolt FF Gear Install How-To"

Steven

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

8. MTBLAZER89

So putting the yoke on and using a big Impact will work right. I have access to a big vise and big impact. I didn't even think that putting the yoke on will keep the pinion from spinning LOL. Guess I probably would have thought of that when I actually went to do it. I really want to set it up before I put the axle under the truck as it is my daily driver. I just want to minimize the down time.
    Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Brian

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would agree here, we always install the pinion into the housing while crushing the sleeve. Guess in my earlier post, I didnt think about it. Also, you might get some help from another person and use a large pipe wrench to hold the yoke. Get yourself or someone hefty on the breakover bar, plus maybe one more person standing on the housing. Again, once you start turning the pinion nut and taking the "slop" out of the bearings, remember the pre-load goes up quickly. And at only 20 inch pounds its pretty easy to over torque leaving that crush sleeve as a paperweight. You can control it much easier using a long breakover bar as opposed to an impact gun in my opinion.

Remember, you will need an inch pound dial type torque wrench to set up the preload. You might get a click type inch pound wrench to work, but Id rather use the dial type. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thats how I just did mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You have to be carefull though when you actually start crushing the sleeve, a little goes a long way!

11. MTBLAZER89

Cool I will be doing this tomorrow I will let you guys know how it works out. Oh yeah if I Piss this away where can I get a new crush sleeve?? Just in case.

-Brian

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Dealer I would imagine.