Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setting up rear suspension, have a look-see

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 11, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My trail rig is almost complete and now I am looking at the little details. When I set up the rear suspension I put the shackles straight up and down | instead of like this / figuring that after I put the fuel cell, tool box, tools, etc it would weigh the rear end down and cause the springs to sag. That is not the case. I have about 300 pounds of weight on the rear end and the shackles are still straight up and down. I have no bed on the truck either. The rear suspension is an echobit flip with 2" lift 52" tuff country springs.

My concern is with traction and flex. With only 300 pounds of weight and a 12 gallon fuel cell will this give me enough traction. Should I move the rear hangers and get the shackles to kick back more or will the springs sag after time.

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My rig is based on about 20% uptravel and 80% downtravel. So, my shackles sit nearly to the extent of the uptravel at ride height.

So, you need to determine how you want the suspension to work, then go from there.

I have some tubework, a 16 gallon cell and have enough weight out back. You have to remember, your 14 bolt is pretty hefty, frame weighs something as well, plus how you have your cab mounted to the frame has effect on rear weight.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Since you have the echobit flip, try switching the hangers that bolt on around. They are reversible, when I first put mine on way back when with the stock 52's the shackle angle was exactly as you described. flip them to the other side and that should move the hanger point in by about an inch. Thats what I did and it helped my shackls angle alot. Although now Im on some 57 inch ford springs so I flipped them back around...man talk about shackle angle, that thing has some serious droop.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am sure this question has been answered before but what fords came with 57" springs.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

There were a few of them, some 3 inch wide, which obviously you probably dont want. The 3 inch wide ones came in the heavier trucks like the f-250 and 350s, while the 2.5 inchers, like the ones I have came on the later model f-150's. I think the year is from 89 to 97 or so. I have had mine for a while now and I will tell you they are extermely soft. I have the echobit flip, 57 springs, and ORDs heavy duty shackle (the longer one) and I have a shackle angle thats probably around 45-50 degrees. It allows for tons of droop. Makes the truck ride really good too, although does provide for alot of axle wrap. Which I plan on making a wrap bar so that should take care of that. Oh and the the center pin is one inch foreward from the stock setup so I made some zero rates and moved the axle back 1.5 inches. Although I have been thinking about flipping the springs and zero rating the axle foreward a inch and a half. Which should move my axle back a total of 3.5 inches from stock. I plan on taking some pitures of my truck so I will snap a few of the springs back there if you want.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I always like to see pictures.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok sorry it took so long to get pics up but here they are. This is my shackle angle, its got a pretty good angle on it, but I figure thats ok because it has a ass load of droop.

[​IMG]

My tire placement is pretty close to stock although I have been thinking of flipping the springs around and zero rating it foreward 1.5 inches. Which will move my axle back I think around 2.5 inches from stock location. I am still trying to fine tune both my rear and front springs at this moment so theres no telling what might happen back there.

[​IMG]

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

thats bad ass, thanks

9. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'm running the same setup and stock shackles and it's worked well for me so far:D

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well I done did it again...

I am going 18" S-A-W air shocks and linking the rear. I won the shocks on ebay for $350 yesterday, which is a smokin' deal. Just cut another 20" off the rear frame last night. This thing looks weird now :eek1: talk about a SHORT bed!

I might as well just turn it into a buggy now :crazy:

11. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

Just my opinion, but i think your shackles is a little to far angled back. Then again if your wanting more drop your definately going to get that. To far or not it's definately a workable suspension and looks good.

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Coming soon....

[​IMG]

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Good luck getting them to work on a fullsize.:crazy:

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you noticed but there is not much left of it.