Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

settle an argument 1 ton spring pads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrapmetal, Jul 5, 2001.

1. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Not to sound like I dont have any idea, but I have dismantled several 1 tons with 14FF and the sping pads were the same width as the 1/2 ton. Someone is telling me that is not true. Hmmm, well I have done several and even have one in my truck, I even went to my local wrecking yard, and he confirms what I had allready said, that 14 FF will bolt to anything 1/2 ton through 1 ton. The only difference is the dually has narrower spring pads, and the vans have a wider axle, so whats the deal, have I been smoking too much dope or what, I dont like to misinform people but I am under the impression that they are all interchangeable. I had gotten some out of a military 1 1/4 Chevy and they bolted right up to a buddys Blazer, so who is right here or did they make several and Im not aware??? Help out old hands,,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    When in doubt,,, put'er to the wood

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

The trucks I have owned and seen all follow exactly what you wrote-the dually only difference. Some think all 3/4 ton rear springs are 56"-some are some are 52"

3. scrapmetal

well I just got off the hook with another fella who is a chevy buff and he says the same thing,, if ya dont know stay home,,

4. scrapmetal

by the way,, thanx, I knew I was right

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think its time to 'SAY NO TO CRACK'. [​IMG]

Every K30 I have ever owned, seen, come across, dismantled, etc. had a narrow perch. And, they were on duallies, single wheel, etc. They measure somewhere like 40.5" from the center hole to center hole.

The rears you must have seen or installed in the Blazers were probably really a 3/4 ton rear, which WILL bolt in place to a Blazer. Those perches on the 1/2 and 3/4 tons are something like 42.5" from center hole to center hole.

The other way to check to see if you are dealing with a true K30 rearend is to look at the shock mounts. The 1/2 and 3/4 tons have the shock mounts on the same sides, even the Blazers and Subs. K30's have the mounts on the opposite side of the others.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

6. thatK30guy

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

by the way,, thanx, I knew I was right

<hr></blockquote>

You think? Wanna take a bet that you are WRONG?! [​IMG] Hate to say it, but you are sounding a little cocky here!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wes are you saying all the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton diffs had the shock mounts both on the same side of the diff? My 3/4 ton 14 Bolt had the shock mounts one on the back of the tube and one on the front of the tube...

Also was the original question referring to the actual width of the perch itself or was the question referring to the distance between the perches?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. thatK30guy

Hmmmm....you got a point on the width part. Maybe I opened my mouth....er, typed in too soon! [​IMG]

No, I was not saying the shock mounts are on the same side. I know they are 'staggered'. Where the 1/2 and 3/4 ton mounts are, the 1 tons have them on the opposite side of those. In other words, the passenger side mount on the rear on a 3/4 ton is forward of the axle, whereas the mount on the 1 ton is rearward of the axle. Got it? [​IMG]

BTW, I doubt the width of a dually is different than the other trucks. Didn't all duallies have the same width spring pack as the other trucks? That would be 2.5" wide. I have never seen a dually with narrower width perches. Just the distance between the perches are different from the 1 tons to the 3/4 tons.

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I agree with K30, one tons 40 1/2, 1/2/ 3/4 are 42 1/2 and the van 14bolts have 50 1/2 pad spacing.All the 1/2 and 3/4tons have the shock mounts on the outside of the frame rails and the one tons are on the inside of the frame rails because theres not enough room for the shocks to clear the leave springs with its narrower pad width.The reason the one tons pad widths are 40 1/2" is that the spring hangers are different than the others and mounted 1" closer to the frame per side because of the wt. cap. of the one ton.
    I have been moving those spring pad/shock mounts for years and would say that the rears that you put in were from a 3/4ton or someone had changed the spring hangers which is alot more work than moving the pads in my opinion.
    All the GM rear leave springs that Ive seen are 2 1/2" wide with the exception of the vans that Ive robbed the 14boltFF rears from, they were 2 1/4" wide for some reason!
    RGF

10. thatK30guy

Dang! I keep forgetting to mention the 1 ton rear shocks being mounted in-board unlike the 1/2 and 3/4 tons! [​IMG] Yeah, you are right, they do mount inside the frame rails instead of out side the rails where you can see the stud and shock.

Score 1 for RGF!!! [​IMG]

11. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Hey, K30Guy, do duallys use a wheel spacer anywhere? I used to have a Blazer that had been converted to dualy, and it had big, like 4", spacers on the rear axle so the wheels wouldn't rub. I have looked at enough duallys to tell that they don't use them on the back (my blazer's wheel centers were about flush with the end of the axles ie the hub didn't stick out). So, so they use them on the front? Otherwise where might these have come from? If it makes a difference, the axle I had seems to have been an early one, as the drums were almost conical. Any thoughts?

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

12. thatK30guy

No, stock dually rearends do not use spacers. That big 4" spacer you had was probably an aftermarket item that someone else installed onto a STOCK rearend. If you install dually rims on a stock single wheel axle, the tires will hit the leaf springs. At least this is what I have seen and experienced before.

There was a farmer here in town who had a Ford F350 and wanted to put duals on the rear. He had the new tires and rims for it too. He brought it over and we tried to put it all together but found out the tires hit the springs before the rim sat on the drum. I knew a buddy from another town who had some spacers so we called him and bought them off of him. After putting the spacers on, the tires cleared good. If I can remember right, the spacers were somewhere around 2 or 3 inches. Just cant remember now.

Currently there are two different dually axles for K30's. The 14FF which is a narrower than a single wheel axle, and the D70 which is wider than a single wheel axle. I have no clue to why they used two different widths of axles. My guess, it had to do with whatever GVWR the truck was rated for. I have seen plenty of regular cab long bed dually trucks with the D70 AND others with the narrower 14FF. None however, had any spacers on them what so ever.

On the front dually axles, they are a whole different bearing hub. Its all a cast steel part. Again, no spacers either, because the seat where the wheel sits is way out almost sitting flush with the lock out hubs, if so provided.

13. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I guess I thought the 3/4ton 14FF was the same width hub to hub as the dually version. Now I have TWO things I have to find to make my Blazer turn out the way I want it to (Hub spacers and fender flares)

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The narrow 14 bolt dually rear is a "cab and chassis" setup, the rear wheels come out near the same outside to outside measurement as the front, meaning if they were on a fleetside, you wouldn't need a flare to cover the tires. But you can't fit 4" in between the inside tires. They're basically for flatbeds and custom type service beds.
    What K30 guy said was right on for the spring perch widths. We actually do a different shackle flip bracket for 1-tons due to the difference. I think they made them all narrower because of the cab and chassis trucks. The springs on ours are so close to the tires that we can't put chains on the inside wheels. so if the spring centers were an inch wider, it wouldn't work at all.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

15. scrapmetal

Well wasnt meaning to sound cocky just wanted to get it right what I was telling someone. It had been such a long time since I had done mine, I couldnt remember, so anyways thanx for the clearing this up..

16. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

i have been dismantling chevy trucks fer 15 years and hundreds of trucks later i will say that FACTORY DUALLY WITH A PICKUP BED IS 4 INCHES WIDER THAN A CAB AND CHASSIS WITH DUAL REAR WHEELS the shock thing and spring width that k30guy pointed out sounds good!!!!!!! i have hollander interchange manuals that tell all about this axle.