Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setup inside home...possible?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by speedyvision917, Jan 18, 2006.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Since i wont be able to drive my truck for another month or so and i finally got an antenna i was wondering if theres any way i could hook up my cb in my house just to mess around with it and figure the hole thing out before i put it in my truck, I have a Cobra 29 NW ST if that helps. I know next to nothing about cb's so bear with me. thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best way too use it in the house is too power it with a regulated power supply. I run mine off a 30 amp Astron. But a car battery works too. Run your coax out a window and mount your antenna on a pole stuck in the ground. A base antenna will work much better, but if you don't want too buy one, just do the antenna mounted on a pole thing.

3. speedyvision917

For the power source a freind of mine is going to give me his 12 volt power supply once he replaces the fuse tomorrow. For the antenna i have one of those magnetic ones from radio shack.

As for the pole in the ground ill try but the ground maybe a little frozen still. We've had some warm weather recently so ill give it a shot. If that doesnt work, what about mounting it near the top of my roof?? My window is right below the peak of our roof so if i got up there i could just run the cable down the side of the house into my window...

And lastly i no im going to have to figure out how to tune the antenna once i get it all set up, but once i switch it over to my truck am i going to have to re-tune it? Also does anyone know where i can find some kind of guide on how best to tune it and adjust everything correctly? thanks

4. speedyvision917

ok so i got it setup temporarily right now in my kitchen. Everythings hooked up and im using the battery charger for now until i get a power supply. Only problem is when i turn it on i get nothing.....not even static or any clicks.

I think it might be because the magnetic anttenna i have is only sitting on a wooden saw horse out on my deck, im in the process of find ever a metal pole or some kind of metal base. If i dont use a pole in the ground should i ground the base that i end up using???

Sorry for all the questions but im new to this, so any tips on getting it setup will be much appreciated.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy a 102" stainless steel whip and a mirror bracket mount. Radio shack magnet mount antennas are not very good. Tuneing the antenna is done with rings or by sliding the steel part up or down. If you do use the magnet mount, you'll need something metal too mount it on. If you buy a 102, you might be able too find a mount that will fit on the sewer vent pipe on your roof. That would provide the ground you'll need.

6. speedyvision917

I think ill get that whip, i havnt herd to many good things about these magnetic mounts. At the time it was all radio shack had so thats why i got it.

Although i did get it all working, wasnt able to pick up much though. I move the antenna out farther from my houes and raised it up abit. Thanks for all the help, hopefully someday ill be able to hook up a real base station at my house and keep this one in my truck.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you plan on a base station at the house, you may want too go ahead and get a base Antenna now. It'll work with a mobile radio. I'm running a IMAX-2000 base antenna. I highly recomend the IMAX-2000 instead of a A99. http://www.www.premiere-electronics.net/store/imax2000.html

8. speedyvision917

Nice, ill save that so once i get enough money ill know. thanks again for all the help Z3PR :bow:

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like too help if I can. I've enjoyed the two way radio equipment for many years. Give Frank at 1 Stop a call 1-888-588-1505 about a IMAX 2000 and see what kind of deal he can make. You'll need the antenna, coax, a grounding rod, and a piece of ground wire. And ofcorse you need something too mount the antenna on. The higher you can get the antenna, the better. I have a 40 foot tower + 15 foot of mast, but that's not cheap. You can probley use wall brackets with a 15 foot to 25 foot mast.