Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by readymix, Feb 8, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I stopped by 11 Stop the other day and talked to Frank, the owner. I am pretty much settled on the following setup. Let me know what you think.

• Uniden PC78 Elite with tune for swing. Don't need the channles
    • Wilson 5000 roof mount
    • X-Force 200
    I only wish that the PC78 was a SSB box. I realy like the 78's backlit display and i hear they talk real well. I know my PC122 and PC68 did and i have faith in Uniden after the last few i have owned worked out really well.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Is the Wilson a mag mount? Will it work ok with the box turned on?

X-Force 200 - :saweet:

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not a mag mount....a roof mount. I would rather run a 102SS but then i could not place it where i want it.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm using the 5000 mounted on the roof. I mounted it in the center of the roof up front over the stock interior console. It works great.

It also lets me know exactly where every limb under 13 feet off of the ground is. Nice thing is that it disconnects and has a cover to put on the base when you are not using it. I haven't taken it off yet, I just put up with the occasional limb.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

When i had the 102SS mounted on my 98 the tip of the antenna was at 13' 10" and smacked everything. If you get a chance could you look at your 5000 and let me know how tall the mount is if you unscrew the antenne and coil from it. Basically just a verticle measurement with the dust cap installed.

Hopefully it is pretty short so i can still get my truck in the garage when installed.

Also how flexible is the whip on the 5000.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The 5000 with just a dustcap is pretty short. Just an inch or two. The whips are pretty flexible and will take a beating as long as you don't expect it to bend 90 degrees right at the base. I used to park in my garage with one and it held up fine bending about 14" from the base.

BTW your setup sounds like it will work pretty good. You might not have a bunch of bells and whistles but it is a quality setup. If you want SSB there's always the Texas Ranger 296 or 396 series but they don't have backlit displays.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would love to have the SSB like on my PC122 but i think the backlit display would be cooler.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

He's right, the base with the cap on it is maybe 3 inches tall. Closer to two. The whip is very flexible. I have hit every tree in town, drive through roofs and assorted other stuff. My favorite is the "clearance" signs at fast food places. The 5000 has held up very well. It has not been hurt and the base is well built and mounts solidly.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

1 Stop is a good site. I bought my President Lincoln from a member on thier forums.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have been on the 1 stop forums for over a year and talked with a few people over there. Frank is a cool guy too. He is the one i talked to the other day when i stopped the store. It is only 30 Min from where i live.