Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Several GM Corporate 14 bolt FF and SF questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sub, Jan 24, 2003.

1. sub

sub Registered Member

I have a 1980 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD. The rear axle is a GM Corporate 14 bolt full floating axle. This truck was originally a PG&E tow vehicle in Eureka California. I purchased this truck for two reasons. 1] I needed to clear my back yard and the cost of the truck was less than a debris box. 2] Although the truck doesn't have one straight panel and has a lot of rust. The truck had just recieved front calipers and rotors. And I knew that in the future I could use these axles. The previous owner, not PG&E said the axles were 1 ton. Of course I don't know if they are or not. I do not know what a 1 ton axle looks like.

Well that time has come and I need to know if what I want to do makes any sense. I also have a '91 3/4 ton Suburban with a GM Corporate 14 bolt semi-floating axle. And I woulds like to put the GM Corp 14 bolt FF axle in my Suburban. Does this make sense? I know it has the larger ring gear and is a beefer set up and I like the look of the axle housing sticking out on the rim. Industrial.

If this Full Floater is a 1 ton how can I tell?

What does this Full Floater weigh? The reason I need to know is because I going to have to hand load it in my Surburban and need to know how many guys it will take.
    After I remove the axles, springs and transfer case I have to have it flat bedded to the wrecking yard at a cost of $275.00

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, well if its a 14ff it doesnt matter if its a 1-ton or a 3/4-ton since the 14ff is the same for both except spring perches. Now if you really wanna know, if this axle was in a 3/4ton truck and its a 1-ton axle u might be able to see where the spring perches used to be. Like maybe the old perch wasnt taken off, or it wasnt completely ground off. Thats really the only way i can think of.
    As far as weight ive heard somewhere the 14ff is around 500lbs or so.

3. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

full floaters have hubs sticking out. you can also burn out till your leg falls off, and if it dosen't break, then it is a ff

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

semi floater- [​IMG]
    full floater- [​IMG]

all full floaters are 8 lug 1 ton.

all semi floaters are 3/4 ton, some are 6 lug, some are 8 lug. the six lug came off of some 3/4 trucks and the SS trucks.

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

The donor for my 91 1/2 ton sub /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif was an 80 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif as well. Direct boltup with the Napa 447 & u-bolts (moved my wheel cyl's over if i remember right and figured parking brake was optional equipment! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Had the local boys go through it before i put it under, and all was pronounced A-OK! It was a farm truck.
    Forget what I needed for it later (pinion flange?? seal? soemthing) they said, hey, that's not a 3/4 ton, it's a ONE TON!
    Not sure if there was anything like a HD option on that 80 3/4 year or not, but i'd bet K30Guy will enlighten us! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

only real diference will be brake drum diameter difference, 1 ton have larger brakes

how rusty is the tow truck ?? you sure you want ot part a tow truck out form cali ? cant be that rusted... nothing like it would be if was in midwest. pity pity

good luck

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    only real diference will be brake drum diameter difference, 1 ton have larger brakes

[/ QUOTE ]

I seems like I have heard that the FF have 13 inch brakes? Is this true? I swear that the 14FF I just got has 15" diameter drums. Kind of hard to tell with big axle tubes in the way.

While we are on the subject of brakes, how do I get the drums off? Do I just take off the bolts on the end hub (I think that is what is called)?

8. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yes, take the bolts off. and no, they are not 15", many 1 ton trucks have 15" wheels. and they wouldn't fit.