Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Several issues---driving me insane

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jul 13, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I really need the k5 to become a decent daily driver as it is seeing a lot of street miles and no offroad miles these days. I am ripping out my hair over a few things, some ideas and comments would be great, as I am getting severly fed up with it.

1. I think I have a leak in the brakes, but I am not sure, don't know how to check, and don't know if this is something I can fix. I'm not sure what it's called?? but its mounted on the front crossmember right below the ORD bolt in steering brace. It's wet with fluid on the right side, not dripping wet, but clearly moist. I couldn't find anything that would be leaking onto it. This will probably have to be sent somewhere to get fixed, but I'd at least like to know what this little pos is called.

2. My rear springs are shot and the truck leans to one side in the back. About 1.75" to the right in back and .75" in front. I really don't want to spend $400 on springs. I was thinking of switching the springs from side to side to somewhat even out the truck. Is this worth the effort?? It would be free so I figured if it got a quarter of an inch closer to level then why not.

3. I still have that damn popping noise. I here it under hard braking, tight turns, and going over speed bumps. It is coming from the passenger side, but is driving me insane cause it always sounds like it is coming from a slightly different spot. I have checked every visible bolt---IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE. It usually sounds like it coming from the front shackle---but it's hard to tell.

4. My passenger spring and spring pad are getting really rusty from the a/c dripping water onto it. Is this normal or is it leaking?? I am scared to open that black box cause of the warnings on it.

That was long...but any help would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats your proportioning valve for the brakes on the crossmember..

i'm wondering if your rust and noise are related, maybe a busted locating bolt for the spring...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. I think I have a leak in the brakes, but I am not sure, don't know how to check, and don't know if this is something I can fix. I'm not sure what it's called?? but its mounted on the front crossmember right below the ORD bolt in steering brace. It's wet with fluid on the right side, not dripping wet, but clearly moist. I couldn't find anything that would be leaking onto it. This will probably have to be sent somewhere to get fixed, but I'd at least like to know what this little pos is called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proportioning valve. To check to see if that's your leak, start your truck and lay under there. Have someone push down on the brake pedal - it should sink to the floor slowly if you've got a bad leak - as they do that, look to see if the fluid is seeping out of the proportioning valve. You can replace it yourself - not that hard. But it may take a power bleed at a shop in order to get all the air out of it once you put it in. Also, check the condition of the brake line coming out of that right side once the proportioning valve to make sure the line isn't damaged/cracked.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. My rear springs are shot and the truck leans to one side in the back. About 1.75" to the right in back and .75" in front. I really don't want to spend $400 on springs. I was thinking of switching the springs from side to side to somewhat even out the truck. Is this worth the effort?? It would be free so I figured if it got a quarter of an inch closer to level then why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion on that is don't bother. Why "solve" one problem only to potentially create others. It may not be your springs sagging by the way - could be the body mounts. Those measurements, are those to fender (body lines) or to the bumper corners (frame). If those are body line measurements, measure the frame at the four corners too. If that's the same amount off you can be sure it's your springs.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. I still have that damn popping noise. I here it under hard braking, tight turns, and going over speed bumps. It is coming from the passenger side, but is driving me insane cause it always sounds like it is coming from a slightly different spot. I have checked every visible bolt---IT IS DRIVING ME INSANE. It usually sounds like it coming from the front shackle---but it's hard to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go get a good long breaker bar and TIGHTEN down those u-bolts on your front axle. I'm 99% sure that's what your problem is. Also, you may want to check the centering pin on the springs to make sure it isn't trashed.

[ QUOTE ]
    4. My passenger spring and spring pad are getting really rusty from the a/c dripping water onto it. Is this normal or is it leaking?? I am scared to open that black box cause of the warnings on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That water is just condensation dripping off the A/C parts. Don't worry about it unless it's actually freon.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

How will I know if it is freon or not? the stuff coming out is clear, I'm not sure if freon has color or not. How should I address the rusting issue then?? Thanks, those replies really helped. My u-bolts are at 130 foot pounds...is that not enough? I'm going to go measure as you suggested.

Edit: Measured and body mounts are good. Passenger spring is visably flatter than driver side.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, if your airconditioning is still working, then it's not the freon leaking out (the system would have lost pressure and not be working). Every car with A/C will drip condensation on the ground if the A/C has just been run and it's hot/humid enough out.

That's a good amount of torque on the u-bolts. I'd still pop off the side making noise and check out the centering pin and the hole in the perch as well to make sure they're still a tight fit. It may be something else making the clunking noise, but that's the same problem I had (clunking coming from the frontend stopping hard, turning, and bouncing down bumpy streets)

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You can not see freon leaking out. At normal outside temperatures, it is a gas. All you can see from freon escaping is oil, which is carried around by the freon. It is normal for water to drip out of the evaporator box. The hot air is cooled and the moisture comes out. There is no crime in opening the evaporator box. Just don't open up any of the plumbing to vent refrigerant. However, I really don't see why you would need to.

As for the wet proportioning valve: check to see if it is power steering fluid. It is common for the seal on the power steering pump shaft to leak and the pulley spits oil all over. It is normal for this area to be a little oily.

As for U-bolt torque, the measurement really doesn't matter unless you've first gotten them to move. Most U-bolts that have been on more than a year or two can take more torque than that without the nut actually turning on the threads. Sometimes it feels like they are turning, but it is just twist in the bolt. If the nuts are free to turn on the U-bolts, 130 ft-lbs is plenty of torque.