Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

several problems installing 6" lift today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Nov 1, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

several problems installing 6\" lift today

Well I had several problems installing lift today

1) 16x10 with 4.5backspacing wheels wouldnt work on the front...hit tie-rods /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2) Front driveshaft hit exhaust pipe.

3) Rear driveshaft is vibrating badly and pinion angle looks terrible.

4) Brake bleeder screw was previously rounded so I couldnt bleed the brakes on the pass side.

5) Lift company gave me u-bolts for a 14FF not a 10 bolt (maybe this is a sign) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Questions:

Whats the backspacing I can have to run a 16x10 wheel?

Which direction do the attached shims on the front and rear springs point? (I did little end towards the tranny both front and back springs)

Can I keep the attached shims and add another under the pack?

Please help guys, Im really frustrated about all this /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

Re: several problems installing 6\" lift today

You will have to lower the crossover pipe on the exhaust I had to have It done when I installed a 4 inch lift on my pickup just make sure that you have the front axle at full droop so you can determin how low it needs to be. For the rear tapered blocks or shims might help /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 88jimmy4x4

What about the wheels.....whats the max backspacing I can have or need to have for proper fitment?

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

1. try 3.5"
    2. bend pipe down.
    3. drop transfer case an inch.
    4. new caliper
    5. save them and get the right ones for now.

You got them right. drop TC first.
    Would not stack shims.

5. 88jimmy4x4

Okay great, I will drop the t-case tomorrow and see how much that corrects the angle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

Do you still have the factory wheel if you do see if they fit if they do measure the back spacing and get different wheels with that backspacing

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

1. If you'd done a search before you started the project you wouldn't seen that 4" of backspacing only leaves you about 3/16" of room between the wheel and the tierod ends.

2. Common problem. Time to move the exhaust.

3. Time for new universals since you've increased driveline angles and I'm sure they need to be replaced anyway. Pinion angle can be corrected with shims. I only have vibration at 72mph and my pinion points up past the driveshaft.

4. $15 plus core will get you a new caliper at Advance Auto.

5. Figures. You can get new 5/8" diameter bolts from Carquest, no one else seems to have a selection besides them. Napa usually has a large selection of 1/2" and 9/16" ones though.

Yes, you've got the shims on in the right direction. Yes, you can add another shim since the one that is already there is bolted to the pack.

I know what it's like to be frustrated. Like when you buy 4 u-bolts for $10/each for the front axle and then find out when you get home that the one that goes around the pig is bigger in diameter.

8. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    1. If you'd done a search before you started the project you wouldn't seen that 4" of backspacing only leaves you about 3/16" of room between the wheel and the tierod ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...your right...I should have searched or asked. I fell like an idiot. Its the only damn question I didnt ask /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wheres the :dunce: smiley?

Side note...I told the salesman what vehicle the wheels were going on, you think he would have known what the proper backspacing was /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4) Brake bleeder screw was previously rounded so I couldnt bleed the brakes on the pass side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vice Grips? heat it up? oh yea calipers at autoscoan are 11$ after core /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 88jimmy4x4

Well today I dropped the trans xmember 1" and it halped tremendously, the vibration was almost gone, only felt it between 15-20mph slightly (never got over 60mph). I also replaced the caliper...$15.99 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Still need to re-route the exhaust, replace u-joints front/rear and have d-shafts lengthened, replace rear u-bolts and install SS brake lines when they come in...sheesh.