Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Several questions regarding my tranny install tomorrow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 17, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Man I'm nervous. Installing my T400/NP208 tomorrow, all by myself. First question, I'm puttin a new torque converter on, should I fill it up with ATF before I put it on the tranny? Second question, maybe stupid but I don't know for sure, do all 6 bolts on the converter have to be in? On the 700 converter I only had 3 bolts. Just thought it was kinda weird that the new converter has twice as many bolts. Hmm, third and last question (lol for now) since I only have one jack, a tranny jack, would the best place to put the jack under be the pan, or crossmember? Tranny and case are connected and are going in as one piece and since I'm by myself I'll need it to be the place with the most balance. Thanks and I'm sure I'll be back on here tomorrow afternoon with more questions /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I fill the torque converter when I put it on. be sure the converter has engaged the pump when ya install it.
    turn it slow and push in and it will go in..
    if the converter has 6 bolt holes use em all.
    If you are gonna do it alone strap the tranny down to the jack, ya don't want to be holding it in your lap.
    when the tranny is stabbed the converter pads should be about an 1/8" from the flexplate.
    if it is tight up against it the converter has slid foward and needs to be put back in. Dont bolt the tranny down until ya make sure, I have seen guys break the flexplate because the converter is not engaged to the pump.
    If you are doing this for the first time I would con a buddy into helpin out.
    It makes stabbin the tranny easier with another set of hands and eyes.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Q. First question, I'm puttin a new torque converter on, should I fill it up with ATF before I put it on the tranny?
    A. I would add trans fluid to it... something like 2-3 quarts.

Q. Second question, maybe stupid but I don't know for sure, do all 6 bolts on the converter have to be in? On the 700 converter I only had 3 bolts. Just thought it was kinda weird that the new converter has twice as many bolts.
    A. My big block has a larger bolt pattern on its flexplate than the small block flexplates I have. If you measure the size of the pattern, there should be two different 3-bolt patterns for the different size flexplates. When you get it in, you will see what I mean, as you are spinning it around looking for the holes to line up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q. Hmm, third and last question (lol for now) since I only have one jack, a tranny jack, would the best place to put the jack under be the pan, or crossmember? Tranny and case are connected and are going in as one piece and since I'm by myself I'll need it to be the place with the most balance.
    A. Be darn sure you use a strap expecially if you will be working alone with the trans, adapter and xfer all assembled in one piece. Just make sure you position the strap so you can take it off once the trans is in place! Not like I learned that the hard way or anything... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hope that helps you! Be sure to come back with your other questions too! Glad to help.

-Dan

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK for the TC it's you want to fill it because when you start the engine and turn it empty so it will fill up you could ruin it.
    For the 6 bolts, the th400 has six bolts and if the flexplate is for the 400, it will have the six holes aligned, I know because the diesel 1 ton that I worked on last week had all six bolts on, and they are required for that engine.
    If it's a flewxplate for a 700 or a 350 you will only be able to put the 3.
    As for the tranny and Tcase combo going in together, I wouldn't do it alone. When I had to do it I seperated them, and I had the 203, your 208 is aluminum and you could manhandle it yourself without the jack, I did that with the Quadra trac on a jeep alone with no jack.
    Get a Buddy to help you and take him for a ride as a pay back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks guys for all the help so far. I went ahead and separated them after dropping them once, not on me completely but it messed up my arm pretty good trying to hold onto it. The seal where the transfer case mounts to the adapter, I went to Napa and Autozone and they didn't carry it. Anybody know where to get that gasket? Or could I just use silicone? Doesn't look like any fluid actually goes in there, but maybe it's to keep water from getting to the splines?

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I remember someone had those but I chose to use silicone and it works fine.
    I used the red one and I have seen black used successfully.
    Sorry about your arm, your lucky you still have it though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    good luck with the rest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

That appears to be a phantom gasket. I couldn't find one for my 203-(350)adapter from any auto place. I ended up going to a tranny place and they charged me $3 for it.