Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Several ?s about K-10s, payload capacity, etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kevin108, May 6, 2002.

1. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

I'm about to buy an 87 K-10 longbed with a 4" Skyjacker lift. Easy questions first. What's the best way to determine the axle ratio on these? What kind of mileage can I expect with the TBI 350/700R4 combo? Also, I occasionally need more payload capacity than the typical half ton can offer. What's involved in upgrading to a 3/4 or 1-ton setup?

2. Kevin108

I get 13 mpg avg.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

One way to check the ratio is to look in the glovebox for a RPO code sticker.

For the '87, they will be in letters and numbers. You will need to decode these letters and numbers to find out exactly what the truck has.

But the most surfire way to absolutely be positive to tell what ratio it has, take the differential covers off and look for some numbers stamped on the side of the ring gear. There will be some different series of numbers and you want to find the two that will allow you to divide one by the other to get the ratio. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Is your truck runnin now? I am gonna run in Chesapeak on sunday. Let me know. My cell number is on the other post. Is it a ten bolt or twelve on the k-10? Talk to ya later.

5. Kevin108

10-bolts front and rear.