Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

severe clunking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyk5blazer666, Jul 10, 2005.

1. chevyk5blazer666

chevyk5blazer666 Registered Member

ok hi its me again. when i waz at 7 11 i put in reverse and i herd a prity bad clunk and i put in drive just to see if would do it .it did. so i went home and i put 80-90 in the tranzfercase and that dident help and i replaced all of the u joints. i think it is the rear because i put it in nutral and i went under neath and moved the drive shaft and there is play in it . is this gonna mess up my gears or cause me any problums.?? its a 10 bolt

2. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

777 hay man first take the 80-90 out of the transfer case or it will be junk soon then go to the rear pull the insp cover you will get some oil coming out so be ready then look inside an tell us what you see

3. chevyk5blazer666

i took the 80-90 out aready i just wanted to see if it waz that and i aready took the cover off and it looks normal no metal shavings a little durty but nothing out of broke or chiped

4. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

OK then it might be in the pinon bearings have you ever took one of these rear ends apart .you are going to have toget in there be sure to watch for shims on each side of the ringgear or maby get another rear with the same gear as the front

5. chevyk5blazer666

im going to get 4:88 anyways so i gess it dont matter thanks

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Could be bad motor mounts too......

I've got a clunk like that going into reverse, but I've been too lazy to replace the mounts.

7. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I have had a wornout slip joint in the drive shaft cause the same sounds before. But I'm STILL driving on it :crazy: after 2 years :eek1:
    I don't recomend this, but I'm a cheeeeep b@$+erd :D

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine is either noew or rebuilt everything from the tranny back , and I still get a clunk once in awhile . Torque gets transmitted from tranny , to case , to rearend , each piece takes up a little slack , hence the clunk sometimes when everything is known good . Add a locker in the rear that works on torque , and adds even more .