Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

severe loss of power.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Jan 7, 2003.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

Oct 1, 2002
    I'll start off by giving alittle background. I reecently bought a 1976 K-10, the previous owner swapped in a 454 and a th400 in place of the 350 and th350. When I bought the beast I love the endless amount of power it had in the low rpms. After owning it for three motnths now I have noticed a dramatic loss of power. When I bought it I could smoke my 35's on dry pavement at will now I have trouble spinning them on wet pavement. I don't know if this is due to running cheap gas or what. Maybe a tune up is in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
  2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    We need a little more info, brother.

Is the truck running rich? How do your wires look? What about your cap and rotor? DO you have a catalytic convertor? How does it start and idle? Does it backfire or run-on when you turn the truck off?

The first two places to look when performance goes south is fuel and spark. It sounds like you have to do a wee bit more checking before we can offer opinions.....