Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Severe Transmission problems...........Please help Soon

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Jun 12, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK, I was driving down road today and romped it! Just as it shifts from 1st to 2nd there's this HARD BANG.....then nothin....like it's in nuetral, but with a whine now when you rev it.Checked the flexplate and it's cracked but has been for about 3 weeks, still starts fine but put it in gear and nothin but a whine, that get's a little louder the higher the rpm's are, no movement in the drive shaft at all.

So please tell me it's the torque converter and not the tranny, ..again the flexplate is fine and bolted up to the motor and plate..... this is my daily driver right now so the quicker the better. THX

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

What transfer case are you running? I have had the very same thing happen to me before and it was a broken chain in my 208 transfer case. Contrary to popular belief, a truck running a 208 case with a broken chain will NOT drive in 2 wheel high. Try putting the truck in 4-low and see if it will drive. This is how they loaded mine on the wrecker back in '87(it was still under warranty). Just a thought!

Mike

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Something else broke in your transfer case. You could completely remove the chain from an NP208 and still drive the truck in 2WD. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif It's just dead weight until you shift into 4WD. The chain could have broken and then messed up the gears, but you don't need the chain to run in 2WD.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Tell us what you have. has it got body lift? Might have blow the adaptor between the case and tranny. Might have poped the case into Neutral. Does Park work? if park works then the case is probaly not your problem. If it won'e go into park then I would start supecting the problem at the case or it snapped the main shaft out of the tranny.
    Try to be more vague I'm practicing my Mind reading skills.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

LMFAO Grimmy!
    Try to be more vague I'm practicing my Mind reading skills /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Brandy

6. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the torque converter to me. Unfortunately, when the converter blows up like that, more often than not fragments will get into the tranny and tear it up pretty good. Sometimes, if you really floor the gas, the truck will still creep forward at a few miles per hour. Is that happening?

7. twenty_below0

No body lift and a 203 transfer case, also 4" suspension and 33's with 3:73's this motor has a little over 300 h.p. (it not the new one), if I ran an adapter I would have includued it in the description but I did forget the transfer case....sorry bout that, does go into park and the case was also rebuilt about 20,000 ago, going to pull it tonight so...any suggestions are gladly taken!I will try the 4hi or lo to try to get it to move and see what happens, This is a 78 K5 with TH350! IS that descriptive enough?anything else I need to add?

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Try shifting the 203 into Hi-loc.

My 203 makes these noises, when I miss the 4-low loc (it has a part time kit).

If the 203 is in neutral, my tranny makes these noises too when put in gear. Then I have to shut the engine off to put the trans into park, or I get the HORRIBLE RATCHETING noise.

Good luck.

I can hardly wait to get rid of my th350...

9. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the tranny pump vanes broke. I had rebuilt my tranny and went for a test drive and heard that big bang too and then nothing in any gear. Tore it back down and opened the tranny pump up and found the pump vanes broke. Mine was the result of installing the tranny incorrectly and busting them on install but it could be your problem as well.

10. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

assuming you checked the fluid level and it is ok and not aerated It sounds like the pump is shot.

11. twenty_below0

OK,pulled the tranny and case out today,everything looks good, no broken pieces in the pan and just a sm. layer of grey with some sm. little glitter pieces in it, I can turn the shaft by hand and it seems to work as suppose to, so my next question is how can I tell if the converter is bad? Looking into it, it looks fine, no stripped splines or chunks.....would really like to be able to take it apart, (tranny) but know I wont be able to get it back together again....any suggestions

12. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Don't pull the pump out until you get a new seal for behind it. It will probably rip and has to be completely intac. Stick a srewdriver into the pump where the converter mates up and try to turn the pump. Make sure both tits(sorry no other word for them in my vocab) are intac. If one is broke you can probably see it roll around inside there. They should exactly 180 from each other. I feel your pain on this one. Hope it helps out.

13. Grim-Reaper

The pump is pretty simple. Usualy what happens to cause you to replace a pump is the Stantor shaft spines gett stripped off or it busts the shaft going into the pump. Bot of thos things will be visible from the outside. Pull the innter shaft out and see if it's broken. If the sprag blew it would still drive just no 2n'd 3rd shift it would go from 1st to 2.5. It's probably the converter blew or the got a problem in the valve body. It's not the the case or the main shaft because if either of thosewere busted it would not go into park.
    If it blew the converter it possible other stuff was damaged if parts came out and made it to the pump. I personnaly would pull the pump and inspect it up there if it all looks good re install the pump, new bushing and seal and put a rebuilt converter on it and try it again.

14. twenty_below0

OK, this helped me, I also talked with a shop and they said pretty much the same thing as you so I think I will pull the pump and take a look see,
    Can i get the seal behind the pump from the local auto parts store? Should I just get the kit (with the 5 bands around the pump) also?They said to see if the gears are worn or "groved" the pump, is it just one sm. seal behing pump or o-ring or what does it look like? THX

15. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

The pump should have a big o-ring around it. all of this should be replaced. The pump o-ring, Directly behind the pump is a black seal of some sort material, it rips very easily and will affect the tranny. Replace it now and I had to get mine from a place that only sells tranny parts to shops. Auto parts stores didn't have it.But check anyways. I think it is actually called the pump to housing seal(not to be mistaken for the o-ring.) I can look it up when I get home later on tonight. Also replace the front torque converter seal(available at most auto stores). Good luck. I hate it for you. Also haynes sells a book on GM Transmissions in most auto stores. Might be a good thing to look at. Also Make sure you pull the plastic piece from inside the pan area that goes into the pump. Man I haven't worked on mine in awhile so I can't remember what it is called but I forgot to get mine out and then man handle the pump and broke it. Please don't do this. It is very hard to get the right one. Even with the numbers on the tranny I went through three before I got the right one. After you get the bolts out in the pump it should come out very easily working it back and forth. If it doesn't then stop and look to see if something is binding it up.

16. twenty_below0

I pulled the pump and everything looked fine gears etc. also didn't see a "plastic peice from pan area " any where??
    But it does have a B&M kit so maybe this is why?? I dont know, THX everyone for the info I am in the middle of it as we speak! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looking at a 200-4R manual (hey, its a GM auto tranny similar vintage : ) there are only a couple of things "no movement" are attributed to which you haven't checked(although converter isn't listed) and they are: Oil pressure (pressure regulator in pump stuck) Forward Clutch Piston damage, lo/reverse roller clutch failure.

Obviously this is for a different tranny, and yours may not have all or any of the above listed components, but you'll find out as you tear it down I guess, eh? I left out some of the obvious things, like oil level, torn seals what not, since what you describe doesn't sound like a "soft" problem, more a "hard" part breaking... Maybe really inspect the pump again, mine ground off PART of the drive tangs, so it *looked* ok, until I took the pump apart and saw that the tangs were half gone..

18. Grim-Reaper

NAPA may have the O-ring and front paper seal you need. They supresed me last week by having a listing of all the seals and had a 1-2 shift acumulator cover o-ring in stock. THey had numbers on all the case seals. Inspect the threads for the pump to case bolts. they are prone to stripping out and may need to be helicoiled. The forward drive clut pack is the first one in the case, the clutches actully are in the case no septerat drum. Been a few years since I had my 350 apart. I think the actual piston for that set of clutches is on the back of the pump. Don't have my 350 book handy to look.

19. twenty_below0

THX Grim, and everyone else, The K5 is on the road again.
    The pump was good and inside the tranny looked great no wear yet, heck hardly any grey [censored] on the first set of metals.
    I did however brake one of the 5 metal rings on the pump being to rough with it so I pulled one off the other tranny I had
    to replace mine and put it on. I also couldn't get a paper seal here so I just retorqued the one that was on it since
    it didn't rip when removing,(I know that's not good practice) so far no leaks and I did tighten the hell out of it!
    It ended up being the converter after all! After kickin it and lookin at it for 2 days I noticed there was a split between
    the 2nd and 3rd set of splines inside,....So I thought there is only suppose to be a 2nd set not 3rd, basically since I ran it for 6 weeks with a busted flexplate, it put
    to much pressure on the converter and broke the 2nd set of splines in half.......go figure. The moral of the story," dont run a cracked flexplate for a long time and really romp on it daily"!!
    Now my only other real question would be is ATF good for a 203? With part time because it will slosh around more to help keep lubed? Or syntec sae 30 or what would you suggest? THX twenty