Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SF VS. FF in 14bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 18, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

Hey, what is the difference between semi-float and full-float??? Besides the words thems selves. I know full is better... buy why... and what do they do??? (difference)??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The basic gist is that in a full floater, the axleshaft's only job is to spin the wheels. The actual weight of the truck is supported by a spindle and a hub, essentially the same as on a front axle. On a semifloater the axleshaft turns the wheel, but the weight of the vehicle also is supported by the shaft via a bearing on the end of the housing. A happy side effect of the fullfloater design is that if you break an axleshaft the wheel stays on, but that is not the main point of the design, the point of the design is increased load carrying capacity. For us that means mucho strength for wheelin. Always a good thing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The FF axles bolt onto the hub on the end of the housing so iff the axle breaks you can still limp off the trail.

The SF uses the c-clip like a 10 bolt. If you break an axle, there is nothing to hold it in the housing and it will just walk itself out.

The SF is better than a 10 bolt because the shafts themselves are larger.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Also, the SF is 6 lug and the FF is 8 lug which means that you would have to change your front end to 8 lugs also if you install the FF, unless you want to drive around with 2 different spares. If you want to install the SF you will have to move the spring perches. i am thinking about doing the SF because I don't want to buy new rims and spend money on changing the front end also and I feel a SF is plenty strong for what I need. If you plan on doing some really hard core wheeling it's not that big a deal carryingan extra axle shaft.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The semifloating version also comes in 8 lug.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

They started making the SF 14 blt. in 81(?) in the 8 lug version and started using the 6 lug version in 88-up light duty 3/4 tons and some Z71s. I believe they also used a 5 lug version in the 454 SS trucks.

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

You are right but my point was to suggest a SF 6 lug to not have to mess with changing the front to 8 lugs, I think that if somebody wants an 8 lug they would go for the FF and not a SF.

8. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Put a sf 14 in my 90 jimmy 15 inch wheels bolt right up
    14 mm studs back 7/16 front got some extra lug nuts now. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU!!! SFs are way cooler!! all the cool guys have them (me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) and they have better ground clearance.

seriously though, there ain't a thing wrong with a SF, my suburban's semi floating 14 bolt has 156,000 mi on it and it's been jumped 3-4 times with a full load of people and it's just fine. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

In matter of fact, 12 bolts are better. They have even more ground clearance than a 14sf. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yeah 14SF are kewl! They support ARB air-lockers... ask me how I know!

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah...Dana 30 axles are the best!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In matter of fact, 12 bolts are better. They have even more ground clearance than a 14sf.

[/ QUOTE ] BAHAHAHAHA!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif a loaded suburban jumping 5' off the groung would snap a 12 bolt like a toothpick.

14. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

YA... sorry man.. but NOOOO.
    12 bolts arent better. I have been into drag racing a LONG time.. and 12 bolt are pretty strong.. but not THAT strong.. and The ground clearance thing... what a 1/2 inch?? Big deal.. get one size tire bigger... there you go.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

First of all, the 14 FF and 14 SF are completely different axles. The SF has a 9.5" ring gear and 33 spline semi-floating axleshafts...basically a 10-bolt on steroids and overall a relatively strong axle.

On the other hand, the 14FF is just bigger all around with a 10.5" ring gear, bigger housing, bigger axle shafts, and of course the full-floater design.

Since the FF design requires the shafts to only transmit torque, there is less overall stress on the shaft and therefore a shaft of the same size will be "stronger" than if used on the SF design.

The most common 14 SF axles were found in 3/4 ton Chevy/GMC trucks and Suburbans starting in the early '80's and were 8-lug. Based on what I have seen the 14SF is much more common in these trucks than the 14FF. The 6-lug 14SF only came about in '88 under some of the light duty 2500 (3/4 ton) trucks when they switched to the new design with IFS, while a few select 1/2 ton models with certain towing packages also received the 6-lug SF. It seems as if the 6-lug version of the 14SF was sort of phased out of use in 2500 series trucks because I haven't seen any on lots or any newer modes on the road with 6-lugs for quite some time. I have not seen a 6-lug 2500 truck newer than maybe '95 (when they changed the dash design).