Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SFA Conversion Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about buying a 92-or-so GMC 4x4 from my uncle, and of course the first order of business is getting rid of the IFS. My question pretains to the front axle. CAN a GM 60 front be used if I have a passenger drop tcase? The automatic in the truck is toast, but I have a 700/205 (passenger drop) and can get my hands on a GM or a Dodge 60 much more easily than a Ford. What are the issues involved here, or should I just sell the passenger 60 and get a HP Ford?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Change the case and it's not really a problem, other than the issues related to doing the tranny/case swap itself. No other real issues that I know of. I've seen it done on more than one truck so I know that it's possible. </font color>

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will have to get a new computer for the truck that either came from a similar truck but with a manual tranny or one with all the tranny stuff programmed out of it. If you just swap a non computer controlled tranny in the computer will start going nuts. Also have to adapt the VSS. Other than that the solid axle swap part is easy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The only thing I should run into there is the Tcase lever, no? I should clarify, the trans is actually a 4L60 out of a 91 GMC, so it's the right trans for the truck, just have to work out the tcase issues?

5. tonto

tonto Registered Member

Could have the transfer case modified to accept a vss. The same as what Steve had done on his blazer when he swapped in a doubler. Did a search and found the post, included the guy who did it and his number. Donovan Horton ,303-423-6152. He modifies the output houshing to accept a tone ring. Hope this helps, if you talk to him let me know. Interested in this myself.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On off-road.com there was a member on the bbs named Mike Blake (90extcabon40's) with a GM 10 bolt up front and he swapped in an NP205. He made a post about all the work he did to get the shift lever to go through the factory floor hole in his 1990. Had a pick of his linkages too. He hasn't been around on there for over a year now but you can search the IFS forum for the post...