Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SFA Conversion, steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 22, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know anything about steering for when you convert an IFS Chevy to SFA? I have a line on a Ford Dana 44 cheap but the kit from ORU is like $900 for the Dana 44.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

don't hold me to this, but I am pretty sure that you use the factory IFS steering box and pitman arm, then it is pretty much the same as a factory SFA chevy... machine pass. side knuckle, install steering arm, get draglink made. I believe that the ORU kit includes the knuckle and that is part of what makes the price so high.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are correct and it does include the knuckle. All I have to say is forget that. I will see if they will sell without the knuckle and just get mine machined by ORD.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can build your own "kit" for a lot less. When we did my buds he needed a dropped pitman arm. He used a J10 D44 where the drag-link goes to the tie-rod, not the knuckle. When we measured for a Ford axle it looked like the stock pitman arm would have worked. The Jeep axle is easier to mount because it already used leaf springs.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The other guys are right, the stock IFS box goes left to right, vise back and forth for the SFA trucks. Depending on how much lift you have, you can use a stock arm off a 77-79 F150. I got one from a junkyard for $6 I think. AFA the knuckle, find a flat top, get it machined, and the arms are everywhere, just pick one. I used a stock GM three peice tie rod, got it shortened, and used stock drag links. You can sort of see it in the pic. Or not..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    [​IMG]

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The Ford Axle I have access to is leaf sprung. I am not 100% its a Dana 44 it just didn't look like a 60 so I figured it was a 44. So I am going 6" lift springs, I guess maybe a slight drop Ford pitman arm and get a drag link custom made I am set huh? Well that and flat top knuckle machined.