Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shacke flip questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by hi pinion, Jan 30, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ive had my eye on the shackle flip,for a long,long time.ive decided to go with a 10 inch lift......i havent decided yet, to go with an 8 inch spring,and a 2 on the flip.or a 6 spring,with the 4 flip.Sugestions???Anyone???oh,i also need to know,ive heard that there are disadvantages with towing....the truck will be around 60% street driven,and 40% offroad.any advantages with ride comfort?Pros?cons?I need to make a descision........on wich one.Thanks guys!!!YOURS TRULY,HI PINION

2. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

what r the problems with towing?

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, 10" is a lot of lift... at any rate, if I wanted 10" of lift, I'd go with the 4" flip and 6" springs.

not sure exactly what the prob is with towing, never towed anything with my rig... some kind of detatchable anti-sway bars might alleviate the problem if its some kinda stability issue..

j

4. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what r the problems with towing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard its becuase the stock shackles in that position will give you some sway and side to side motion. Also under heavy braking it causes somw weird things to happen...I dunno though...no experience with it....rumors? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Thanks Greg.

TOWING PROBLEMS WITH A SHACKLE FLIP ARE A MYTH!
    In this case, towing with a truck with a 10" lift is going to be a rough go due to lots of factors.

for a 10" lift, I'd say the 6" spring and 4" shackle flip are the way to go, the flatter the spring, the better. You might need to take a look at moving the rear axle back, with a deep arch spring, you may find the axle too far forward in the wheel well for your taste. A zero rate or maybe mounting the spring backwards will do this easily. On a K5 or a 'burb you would probably want a bit more lift in the rear anyway.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like I now have an even BETTER message to "link" to in the future..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

do you guys there,make an offset block,for the rear?or would just reversing the spring while insalling get me to where id like to be,without all of that,without any other mods.Thanks...HP

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey,Steve,who the heck designs all this stuff????i just couldnt pass on your shackle flip.simple,effective,works,and thats it. hp /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The Zero Rate add a leaf can be used to offset the axle, in front or rear, either 1" or 1.5".
    Most lift springs have the pin offset a little bit too so you can mount the long end whichever way you want to get the axle where you want it. Some springs do have different bushings front and rear so you have to keep that in mind, this factor may keep you from swapping ends with the spring.

The shackle flip idea has been around for a long time, I built the 1st bolt on brackets for it but it was around in homebuilt form long before that.