Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackel flip, ORD and Echobit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What is the difference? I was talking to somone at ORD on the phone and he asked if i ordered a "bolt on shackelflip." I said yes and said it was the echobit, but he replied that it wasnt bolt on... I dont quite remember what he said exactly... echobit site says its bolton. Anyone have pics of the echobit one from the rear, so i can see how it looks? Thanks

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

This is the Echobit Bolt On Flip Kit - no grinding or cutting, just bolt in on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is ORD Flip - grind or cut off the stock hanger and drop the gas tank, then bolt it on
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do you use the old shackle, because mine looks nothing like that one.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, you reuse your shackle. Borrego's truck has a custom shackle - that's why it's red and looks like that.

The main difference, as I see it, is that the echobit kit (which I have) is 5.25" lift and is a true bolt on.
    ORD is 2.5 or 4" and is requires more work (removing the old hangers) and is not a direct bolt on.

You can see a pic of mine installed HERE.

-- Mike

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With either one, you could reuse the old shackle. The pic above shows a longer shackle connected to the flip bracket for running 57" springs.

Mike, that picture really captures the forward mounted angle.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Deosnt the original hanger kind of make an "J"
    In your pic, it loks like you cut the horizontal part off... is that what you did? Or how does that work? Ive already ordered the echobit, but just wondeirng how it works, im gunna have a shop install becuase they can just reroute my exhuast, b/c im pretty sure its in the way. anyway, thanks!

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

either way you're getting a great product that'll more than likely never break. i have an ORD 4" waiting to be installed.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

No, you don't need to do anything to the hanger, you could paint it while the bolts are out though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    85Mouse took a pic of the other side of the stock shackle hanger with the kit installed. Here is a great pic of the bed removed and the stock shackle hanger in stock form highlighting the , and from the other side the L bracket. and the flip shown secured together. The earlier 68-72 2WD trucks didn't have that L bracket from the factory. The bottom plate runs the length of the bottom of the shackle hanger up to the bends on both sides, to prevent rotation. The side plates join the hanger directly to the shackle through the shackle bolt holes, are located to each other by the center plate and then then get torqued down between the bolt, the stock hanger and the spacer tube.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Mike, that picture really captures the forward mounted angle.

[/ QUOTE ] Can you do this without even using your old shackle, for a couple inches of lift instead of whatever it is that the eco lifts the rig to with the old shackle.......????

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I suppose you could but your leaf would not be able arch or flatten out. If the brackets shackle mount was slotted and had a roller bearing to allow the spring eye to move horizontally, then it could potentially work.

Your avatar location cracks me up "Van Diego Washifornia ", The whole west coast is made up of other west coast transplants!