Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackel flips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 7, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Is a shackle flip better than Blocks? Lso is it cheaper to do a flip and then get the front springs and shocks?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yes, anything is beter than blocks. The cost of the flip depends. You can use your existing shackles and it wont cost you any thing, or you can order theORD shackle flip. The sell a really nice setup. If youre handy with a torch you can do your own. Thats what Im gonna do.

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

A $20.00 grinder from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com>www.harborfreight.com</a> is what I used to do my flip. Just unbolt the shackle and cut out the bottom of the hanger out and then bolt the shackle back in :) I've never used a torch so I don't know if thats any easier that what i did.
    Good luck,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Didnt the grinder cut more then it should be cut or did you use a real small grinding wheel?

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

5. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I cut just enough to push the shackle through the bottom of the hanger. Mine looks similar to <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/10685237kdEYAEtMcv>http://community.webshots.com/album/10685237kdEYAEtMcv</a>. I used a 4 inch grinding wheel. Actually, I ended up using 2 or 3 I think :)
    Good luck,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been toying with the idea of cutting the stock shackles, have you beat the snott out of them yet to test for strength?

What, Me Worry?

7. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I have not had a chance to test them yet. JimmyJack has the same setup, the link I posted are to his pics. I'm pretty sure he's been driving on them for a few months and has wheeled on them during that time without any problems. I'm planning on driving on them like that until I get a chance to weld a brace onto it :)
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I did mine 5 years ago, no problems. I used a grinder, but a torch is easier, just be careful w/the gas tank. Not sure, but I think I turned the shacles around, too, so the hole wouldn't have to be so big.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just finished mine. I used the front mount for the rear springs from a pickup truck, cut the stock one off, then drilled and bolted the truck one on. Its a flip already and worked awesome.
    I have pics in my camera, I just have to scan them and post them.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Did you brace it with anything? I still havn't braced mine and am not sure if I will or not :)
    Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

11. i have the same set up. love it. i used the factory brace/bracket that went behind it too for strength. bolted it on and then had it welded too.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

12. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I've read the post how much is the lift height wise? And do you have to do the front afterwards/ if so how much do you have to lift the front?

13. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I believe that this is generally considered a 3-4 inch lift. I didn't measure it although perhaps another user has and can tell you for sure :) The shackle flip in the rear and a 4 inch spring in front would probably work well. If you're handy with a welder and can make your own shackles you could just lower the front spring hangers 3-4 inches and make a matching shackle for the front. This would probably be the ultimate in cheap lifts although the front may not ride or flex well.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

14. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Question, When you do a shakel flip do you have to add to your drive line? Ive got 8" springs and was thinking about doing a flip.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

It probably depends on how far your driveline ends up extending after you do the flip. I had a bad experience with a too-short driveline once so I lean toward lengthening. Although as it only adds 3-4 inches of lift and from my understanding most people who lift from stock to 4 inches don't need to lengthen I'd say that you probably won't have to do anything to it. Someone who has completed this, I have yet to bolt my springs and rear end up to it, may be able to tell you more :)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __

16. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

actually, when you do a shackle flip, it makes the driveshaft slide in the transfercase a bit more, so no lengthening needed, it actually helps the driveline...however, with an eight inch lift already, you may run into some binding issues with the u joint angles....., I encountered this on my 74 k5 blazer (showtime) see pics here http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/fasteddy454 then click on "My Toys" with all the lift (all homebuilt) plus the shackle flip, the worst angle on the truck is the rear driveshaft. the stock shackles flipped worked fine, but note the brace, simple but effective. The blazer has been sitting for a few years, as I am one of those people who love starting projects....now I have the white 87 Suburban (see pics) and it works quite well. I will be doing the shackle flip on the sub hopefully in a week or two, after I lift the front some more (I have some good ideas for the front but want to try them before posting them, just to make sure they work). Back to the Blazer (showtime) the plan is to try to sell it, if not, will cut and extend the frame a bit to lessen the driveshaft angle in the back, and put on a crew-cab cab (4dr), since the body on showtime is completely shot (drivers seat fell through the floor into the rocker box last time I layed it on the side).....just my 2 cents...ED

17. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking due to the flip would push it closer.
    I guess that angle wedges is what Im going to do?

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's