Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle angle ***problem solved*** 46"+ under any tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, May 10, 2005.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Is a straight up and down rear shackle angle bad. 90 degrees. I had about a 20 degrees w/ my 63's and it sucked. Now I have straight up and downn this still sucks right. I will try one more thing. And get back with you guys give me your opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2005
  2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Mine is at 55*, works perfect, but I do need the springs worked over so they have some more arc so I can get the droop I want out of them.

[​IMG]

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes.

there are lots of factors and Im not a guru... but I would think you'd want a shackle angle that was around 45 degrees-ish. More than that isn't bad, just so long as the shackle doesnt hit the frame under full compression.

j

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

With 63's the shackle isnt going to move back much since the spring is flat. I positioned mine that far back and I dont have enough droop actually, I think either the shackle is too long or my spring doesnt have enough free arc. But other than that its a good angle and truck rides sweet at all speeds.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well I moved my ord shackle flip brackets to the end of the frame and am running them on the right side again (had switched them to run 57's and first try with 63's. I have about a 68 degree if you use it in reference to the slope the spring takes down. 53 if you go level to the ground. Dont know which you guys use but either makes me happy. Zcar are you running traction bars. I am going to try this new set up but w/ the old angle I needed traction bars. 57's go in the front tommorrow. WWOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

Oh and Iput it on the fork lift. 46+ " under all tires. That is good right. With the front done I am hoping for 55 - 60" under any tire. We will see.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

nope, i dont need traction bars. I can stomp the gas in sand and it just goes and doesnt hop at all like the old setup used to do.

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What shocks are you running. I still have a little shutter. Its not a hop but a deffinate shutter. Until higher speeds. Maybe this could be my driveline.

8. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So why is straight up and down bad and what if you have less then 45 degrees should you move the hanger forward?

9. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

If you have less than 30 like i did (20 degrees) you should move the hanger back(thats what I had to do) And when it was straight up and down it felt like the axle was just welded to the frame. Super stiff and with 3 guys standing on the end of the tailgate jumping it did not even budge.

10. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

I have an '82 K25 with brand new BDS 2.5" springs on the front and my front shackle angle is around 100-110 degrees. The ride is not very good either. Is some thing wrong? Did they send me the wrong springs??

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I run 57s with a couple extra leaves in the rear of my truck and my shackle is vertical,no angle.The rear of my truck is fairly light and the ride is very soft.

12. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am not sure why it was that stiff. Mine are 89 4wd silverado 1500. 4 leafs plus an overload. When it was straight up and down it was stiff. Now with a 55 to 65 degree it is perfect.

Call me waylon. Right now I have 4" ez ride tc's w/ the stock shackle and I am sitting at about 100 degrees in the front so I guess you are fine. When I put the 57's in the front this weekend I am going to shoot for this same angle.

13. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

Ok, slight high jack........is 46 inches under any tire really good? my truck does that and either I am use to it or something because it doesn't look like it flexes as well as the trucks I see on here from time to time. So what should I aim for I know mine has some left in it. Sorry bought the highjack but I don't think it deserves a thread.

14. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

46" is pretty good, and at some point (less than 46" IMHO) flex doesn't really matter much and is pretty much for show. Not that more flex is worse, but if yours flexes well you probably won't be held back.