Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle angle with Diy4X4 shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Glazier, Feb 21, 2006.

1. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for. I did the shackle flip using the stock 52" springs. Looking at it from the side, it looks to be in the 6:30 (clock) position. Have not mounted the tires on yet b/c I have alot of work to do. Once I mount the tires, will the angle change?
    What angle do you guys have with the same set-up? Should I do the 56" spring swap?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    sorry no pics, truck is 100 miles away and I forgot the memory chip for my camera:doah:

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your shackle angle sounds correct to me. My DIY4X shackles are in the same position, with 52" springs. The shackle angle will change only a very little as you put weight on the springs. If you go with 56" springs, you will have to swap the shackle flip spring hangers to the other sides of the frame.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is their weight on the spring/shackle? I would think unloaded the shackle should be pretty close to vertical, but with weight on it it should be more like at the 5 o clock position (optimal). Like this \ with weight on it. if it is like this / with weight on it you may have them on the wrong sides.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a picture of mine with 52" springs, and the full wieght of my truck on it.

[​IMG]

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Seems I have installed them correctly. Now I'll toy with the 56" spring idea.
    Thanks guys,
    Joe

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is what mine looks like with the brackets flipped around and 56s with a 6" shackle.
    [​IMG]

Ira

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah you were talking looking at the pass side and i was thinking driver side. I thought about that after I replied LOL. They should be around 35 degrees I believe is optimal.