Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

...shackle angles, pinion angles, t-case angles...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RGV72BLAZER, Jan 14, 2007.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i'm just wondering & am a bit confused on all these angles. i'm trying to figure out my shackle, pinion, t-case, and spring perch angles. i've done some light searching but haven't found anything that's really comprehensive. i'm trying to figure out the shackle angles for my 52/64" swaps on my '72 K5 that won't have any weight since the body is still removed. also what should the pinion angles be in relation to the t-case? and should i relocate the spring perches on my D70 to get the pinion to point in a better angle? just a bit confused on this subject. thanks.

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

u want the pinion pointed at the t case yoke(or slip yoke). shackle angle needs to be around 45-55*. u find ur pinion angle via a angle finder. u put it flat on the perch

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You only want the pinion pointed at the t-case yoke if you have a cv rear driveline, if it is a single u joint then you need the angles to be the same, let me explain, if the t-case output has a 6 degree down angle on it then you pinion will need to point up 6 degrees. If you want a vibration free driveline the angles need to be pretty dang close.

Like has been said you use an angle finder to find the angles. I usually use a small peice of steel that is flat to put on the output of the t-case to get a good measurment.

Aren't your mounts kind of set where they are are. The shackle angles will just come out to be what they are if so. I personally prefer a 25-35* angle on the rear and about 20* on the front.

You pretty much have to have most of the stuff installed to really figure this stuff out. Since you probably want to get most of this figured out before you put the body on you need a way to weight the chassis down. I have put plywood on the frame and then put sandbags on the plywood to simulate weight before.

My suggestion to you is to get your springs on and your axles mounted under the truck put your engine trans and t-case in (I am thinking you have all that stuff right) then start figuring out all your angles. There may be enough guys on here with similar set ups that can help you out but most poeple I know still mock stuff up as much as possible. Thats half of the reason this stuff takes so long by the time you are putting all together for the last time, you have put it together at least 3 times before:rolleyes:

4. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i see. well i'm just lackin a tranny. but i could use the plywood idea to add weight. maybe use some of those big ass water drums. by the 20* you mean how far away from the frame i assume....