Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle bind...pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, Jul 17, 2005.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

got a question for you shackle flip guys. i did a shackle flip with stock 2wd hangers swapped in for the rears. i currently have the stock rear shackles in. when i push down on the rear frame the shackle moves back and gets caught on the inner part of the hanger. i could cut the hanger for clearance. extend the shackle a bit? i pretty much have the lift i need but an inch more lift wouldn't hurt! what about another type shackle :dunno: thanks!

shackle flip1.jpg

shackle flip2.jpg

2. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

DIY4x.com or ORD? :wink1:

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

the shackle flips they sell kick a$$ but not an option! the rear springs i are 64's with 5-1/2 inches of lift. the way i have it set up is basicly a no lift flip!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need longer shackles and a little less shackle angle. I'd aim for about a 20 degree shackle angle with a shackle 2" longer than what you have now.

Rene

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

could you rotate the hanger ccw in reference to the pic to avoid the interference. unfortunately, you already have holes drilled and that support bracket fabbed as well. good luck

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

as rene said, you need to change the shackle angle, or get longer shackles, or both.

its bad to have the shackle like that. the spring can't extend any more, so it will try to bend the leave if enough force is on it. rotating is up or cutting for more clearance will make it worce as it will start going back forward making the spring shorter.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Move the hanger back towards the rear untill the shackle is almost straight up with the suspension under normal load. Whan you flex, the shackle will move rearward before moving up. Do not take anything from the shackle IMO that piece needs more beef already, don't make it weaker.

8. HELLBENT DESIGNS

when i first did the flip i had the mounts about 2 inches rearward, at that time shackle angle wasn't enough! maybe it was correct after all the weight has been added :dunno: i previously had a tension shackle set up but it's all been a guess as far as ride height and how far forward or rearward to put the mounts. i will give the old mount spot a shot and it might be about right :confused:

9. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

With that long of a spring, esspecially since they are soft lift springs, I would get a longer shackle to get all the travel out of them.
    Blake

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

One thing that may help a little bit is to take the shackle out, twist it 180 degrees, and put it back in (you will have the "hollow" part of the shackle facing forward instead of backward), but I doubt it will completely solve the problem. The best thing would be to get longer shackles.

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here's some pics of me 64's. They are stock height springs with a 3" lift shackle. I think the shackle angle is ok now and will be just about perfect when I add the gas tank and spare tire to the back.

rear.JPG

shackleangle.JPG

12. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I can't see your pics but I think I understand how you have the rig set up.

What shackle angle do you have now? Is it close to the 45 degrees that most people recomend?

If it is than I woulden't move the hanger anymore. If you do move it rearward you stand the chance of inversing the shackle and bending a spring...no fun :doah: (you might do that anyway without a limiting strap depending on how soft your springs are) If you cut the top of the bracket to keep it from binding you could also have the spring move so far forward that it cams-over and does't return.

First thing I would do if you haven't already is set your bumpstops to ware you want them. Then determine ware the shackle side spring eye will be when it is fully extended....witch will be eather when the spring is flat or when you reach the bumpstop, witchever comes first. If at that point your shackle is going to bind then you should determine how long of a shackle you need to keep it from binding. If you stick with the 45 degree static angle then you probubly won't inverse the shackle when at full droop...if you do then you need to look at adding limiting straps...

If you need some extra chevy rear shackles to try and lengthin let me know...I have a couple of extra sets out back you can have.

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you need longer shackles first, and then go from there. I wouldn't worry about moving the hangers until you've tried longer shackles. Since you're using the stock-style shackles, you could probably pick up a pair of those lowering shackles the 2wd guys use. I think they're about 6" long.

Best of luck, man :)

14. HELLBENT DESIGNS

yeah i am going to try the 2" longer style drop shackles for starters! not sweating it just another thing to deal with :D

15. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I have NO idea what you're talking about.... :haha: :doah: