Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle droop ???'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Feb 6, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

a couple questions on spring-shackle droop. when i did the 64" rear spring swap i stayed with tension shackles. the springs are 5" tc lift. thats why i didn't do a shackle flip! the shackle angle doesn't seem too bad a rest also when i push on with all my weight, rear of frame it moves to straight up ( i weight 240) after cage and fuel cell etc. i expect 400 total on rear. my concern now is when i lift up on rear frame rails i can lift them high enough that the shackle will hit the other way! is bottoming the shackle like that bad? i have seen pics of spring eyes bent over with shackle flips cause the shackle went too far past center? i want as much flex a possible,when the shackle stop the springs will continue to flex. how much droop should shackle have before spring starts to flex? i could build a stop for the shackles forward stop. any ideas? thanks:D

Copy of spring swap2 011.jpg

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you shackles should have no flex before the spring starts to flex. It may not be very noticeable but they both move. If you really sit and think about it, they have to. THere is a set distance between them, the shackle moves for the most part when the spring changes size and reduces or increases that distance. I think you will be fine. I looked at your pictures before and though, wow thats a crappy angle then I thought, no with weight it will likely even out and be just right.

on another note, how is your pinion angle? Looks a little lacking.

3. rubbinz raczn

i would like to see the pinion angle pointed up more! not sure on the angle? the rear was supposed to have perches rotated for 4" lift. so having the shackle come to a stop agoinst mount isn't going to hurt anything?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

of course not, but I don't see the point in it myself. Putting more stress than neccessary on the springs is bad IMO.

5. rubbinz raczn

i guess at this point i don't have any other option! the shackle movement has no chance of keeping up with the 64' rears. i did just find a solution to the pinion angle issue. i am going to split the front spring hanger mount, bring it 2 inches higher up on the frame. that will not only bring the front spring eye up as well as the pinion but also get the hanger higher up from rocks and other!:D

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good idea. I've messed with changing the spread of the front spring hanger parts before, its not difficult and helps when you need to do it.

7. rubbinz raczn

moved the hangers up 3 inches, helped the pinion angle a bit. looks like it will help a bunch getting the front hanger pout of harms way after i trim it! :hack: pics

spring swap2 027.jpg

spring swap2 028.jpg

8. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

yeah look at his profile... he does not need to be on here

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just so everyone knows : this icon: [​IMG] is the "report to moderator" button the more it gets used, the quicker this guy leaves.