Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip 4" lift and towing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tch777, Sep 24, 2005.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

So I am looking at my lift options.
    The sub is mostly a daily driver and then the family travel vehicle for trips and camping.
    We might tow a trailer with 2 quads on it but that is about it.
    If I do a shackle flip in the rear and 4 inch lift springs in the front, keep the rear anti sway bar could I tow those loads and haul all the weight of the family and gear without issues and sagging?
    Oh yeah I will go to 35 inch tall tires too.

Thanks

Tim

2. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Nobody has a Shackle flip and tows? :dunno:

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yep i do....have been towin for a few years now...i tow a 1800 pound trailerwith my blazer..soft springs and a flip in the rear...as long as you drive the vehicle accordingly in relation to vehicle mods youll be fine....

4. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I would upgrade the shackle to something with a little beaf to it, like ORD shackles, to prevent bending under the weight.

ORD rear shackles.jpg

4846Picture_552.jpg

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I don't have real world experience, so I can't give you advise, but if you search this has been discussed many times at great lengths with very strong opinions. I researched it while planning my build up a few months ago. There's no shortage of info, so go and learn. I'm not being a H.A., if I had my own experience I share it.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 35's and a shackle flip on my Burb. I have towed a variety of boats, my big a$$ military (M105) trailer loaded down with stuff and a 18' yard trailer with no problems.

The only problem i have ever had was because I had a load of flagstone in the M105 that was loaded too far to the rear. The trailer wagged the burb over 45 mph. That was my fault, not the flips.

As long as you don't get in a hurry and don't try to tow huge loads, I don't see a problem.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Or use the http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm flip, you can make your shackles as HD as you want.