Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle flip/56" rear springs on Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ambritmann, May 20, 2002.

1. ambritmann

ambritmann Registered Member

Shackle flip/56\" rear springs on Blazer

I want to do a shackle flip on my blazer to match the 4" lift I am putting on the front. The stock rear springs are kinda flat, I have a pair of longer rear springs from a 3/4 ton Suburban, has anyone used this set-up with the shackle flip mounts moved back ?

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Re: Shackle flip/56\" rear springs on Blazer

Thta's what I'm running.I removed the bottom leaf out of the pack(NOT the overload!.....that I flipped).It's a nice soft and very flexy set-up.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm using 56" ford leafs/k10 leafs on a stock 52" hanger with a shackle bracket relocating the mount. Nice and soft, very flexy.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I considered using the 56" springs thinking that it would move my rear axle back two inches. Do you know the distance from the front springeye on a 52" spring vs. a 56"?

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

They are both the same distance from the front hanger to centering pin, so your axle will stay in the same place. The only difference is that the 56''s are 4'' longer on the back half. I think it measures 30'' (?) from front hanger to pin.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

In the case that they are the same distance from front spring eye to centering pin, are there any springs that will have a longer distance? I'd like a spring that will move my rear axle back a few inches to help my rear driveshaft angles after getting a doubler and also help departure angles.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You'll have to get them custom made if you want something like that. I just put in some custom Alcan springs with ORD specs (58" long). I flipped the ORD brackets and moved them back about 3.5". The springs moved my axle back 2" and I then moved it back another 1" making it 3" total. There is still a little more room if you want to move back some more, but I think this is good enough. I have the Doubler with an R4 and my rear dshaft length is 36" (front is 37.5").
    Boss

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Boss, what is your wheel base now? Sounds like you could (with a little effort matching yokes) go with the same shaft front and rear. That's what I hope to do.

As for moving the axle back. ORD and others make offset plates that adjust 1" - 1.5" forward or backward. Flipping a 56" pair of springs backward will move the pin back 4". So, using the 56" springs in the normal orientation, you have the axle in the same location it was with 52" springs. You can use the plates to get 1" or 1.5" back from stock. You can flip the 56" springs to move the pin (and axle) back 4". And you can then use the plates to move the axle forward 1" or 1.5" if 4" is too much.

So, summary of options with 56" springs: Move back 0", 1", 1.5", 3.5", 3", or 4".

I just completely redid my rear suspension, moving my axle 20" forward with 57" F150 springs turned backwards. Front (now rear) eye on the F150 springs is 1" closer to the pins than the 56" GM springs. That gives me 1" less over hang in the rear than I would get with the GM springs. The frame is going to be cut off right behind the springs. The suspension is pretty much done, the frame will be cut in the next day or so, as soon as I'm positive this is where things are going to stay. When I cut the frame I have to weld in the new rear cross member/bumper/attach point so it may wait till the week end when electricity rates are lower…

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I haven't measured the WB to get the exact measurement yet, but its probably about 110". I moved the front axle forward 1" as well.

Just to clarify some stuff, flipping the ORD hangers will basically allow you to run ~ 54.5" springs, with the shackle hanging straight down or angled "slightly" back (this is the desired setting). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can run 56" springs and flipping the hangers, but the shackle will be angled far back which is not really what you want. Basically, you'll have to move the hangers about 1.5" back to have the the shackle sitting straight or slightly back.
    Am I making sense here? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

10. BadDog

Cool, that means with the doubler, my shafts will be almost exactly the same length, so one spare can be used for either.

As for flipping the ORD brackets. That's fine if it works for what you want. However, it's not that hard to just drill the holes where you need them. I cut out over 40 rivets moved the brackets, and drilled all new holes to relocate my rear axle/suspension. Just stick the bracket where you think you want it and clamp it on with a c-clamp. Then lower the truck so it’s setting on the tires. That way you can see what the shackle angle looks like. Tweak as needed. When you get it the way you want, use a 3/8 drill to center each hole. Basically just stick the 3/8 drill bit into the hole in the bracket and push till it makes a little dimple in the frame. Switch to a smaller drill to drill the pilot hole and use the dimple you just made rather than trying to center punch it. This way you know you got the thing centered and all the holes line up perfectly.

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Got any pics of your rear suspension? I just picked up some F150 springs and I want to get some ideas.
    Thanks.

12. BadDog

I'll try to get some and post them tomorrow. PM me if I forget...

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You don't have to tell me an exact price, but in regard to off the shelf rear lift springs, how much more were the custom Alcans? Also, in addition to a longer rear driveshaft, I am looking for a more unique wheelbase and better departure angle. What did you mean by "flipping" the ORD brackets?

14. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I like the way you are thinking. Is it safe to swap the springs end to end? Is there anything else that has to be done? If I run 56" rear springs, can't I just measure and move my ORD hangers back 4"? By offset plates, do you mean zero rate add a leafs? I want to use off the shelf parts for lower cost and availability, so I only need 4" of spring lift in the rear to match my 8" front springs. I figure that if I ever need just a little more lift in the rear, I can easily come up with 1/2 or 1" blocks/ zero rates.

15. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Am I missing something? Why not use the 56" springs off the 1/2 ton chevy trucks? I got mine off of a 2 wd, they have 7 leafs not counting the overload, wich I removed. They are pretty flexy as well. I am running them backwards for the extra wheelbase.

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The only thing you are missing is that I want to eliminate my 4" blocks by adding lift springs. Two wheel drive springs will not give me any lift over what I have now. I want to eliminate my blocks and change the wheelbase all at the same time. I even have another bed to put on my truck when I do the swap. I'll do it all at once so I can cut the fenders to fit my new axle location.

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Another question. What would the difference be if I turned 52" springs around backwards?

18. BadDog

Well, I have no idea if it is safe for a daily driver or street beater. My truck is a dedicated off road toy so it's not such a big issue. Honestly, I don't think it would be a problem anyway. The only problem I expect out of this setup is exaggerated spring wrap-up and wheel hop due to the long span forward of the axle. This can easily be dealt with in a variety of ways and I'm considering a couple of options. However, I want to try it and see exactly what it does before going any further down that path.

Doing what I have done basically requires relocating everything. It's allot of work. Removing rivets (over 40 of them), drive shaft length and angle changes, e-brake cables, pinion angle, brake lines, and shocks being the most obvious. For some, body clearance may also be an issue.

Yes, I'm talking about the zero-rates or others like them, there are several options. I made my own with more offset (2")and less lift.

19. BadDog

As for relocating the axle, no difference at all. The pin is the same length from each eye.

20. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

As far as I understand, having the axle offset to one side or the other is supposed to help axlewrap versus having it centered. Do you have any ideas why running the springs backward would be unsafe for the street? I have a bad habit of running my 79 K10 shortbox 1ton on 44's up and down the road and I drive it to the trails. Reckon I should ask Stephen Watson about the safety of the springs? Thanks for you help.