Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shackle Flip + 56" Springs and 3/4 Ton Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, May 8, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Shackle Flip + 56\" Springs and 3/4 Ton Question

Well I just spent the last hour searching on this subject and I think that I'm more confused then before I started /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I just purchased the Shackle Flip from Scott aka Muddysub (thanks!) and found a set of 56" springs. What I need to know is what is the process to add these? I have read that you don't need to do anything they just bolt up, you can move the shackle flip back to pre-drilled holes farther back on the frame (haven't checked to see if they are there yet), switch the mounts to the opposite sides of the truck, or just get angry and throw them around a bit /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So I really want more flex and can hopefully get the longer springs for a good price but I need to know what is needed to convert from stock to 56" with the ORD Flip.

Thanks, Shane

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Re: Shackle Flip + 56\" Springs and 3/4 Ton Question

You just about answered your own ?
    the flip yep get it from ORD.
    the 56in. springs you can get from a 1/2 ton sub. the length from frt. eye hole to the center pin is the same as the 52 in. springs where you get all the extra spring in from the center pin to the rear eye hole.
    last of all yes you just need to move the flip back to where you want it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've put 56" springs in the back of my K10 (originally 52"). All you have to do is drill out the rivets and re-locate the hanger farther backwards on the frame. My truck had the holes from the factory for the longer springs, I just enlarged them to 7/16's and used some grade 8 bolts to secure the shackle hangers. In your case you'd ditch the stock shackles and bolt in the ORD shackle hanger instead. Crawl under your truck and take a look, there is a good chance that it has the holes from the factory. The olders ones didn't from what I've seen, but some time in the early 80's I think all of them do.

4. Nitrodrip350

Nice, well mine is a 79 so I guess I'll cross my fingers! Do like how they ride? Any difference from the 52's?

Thanks, Shane

5. Nitrodrip350

Do I need to get a stock set or 2" ones from T.C.? I'm going for 6" of total lift, do the 56's give any lift?

Thanks, Shane

P.S. I really dig your truck, everytime I see your posts I go and look at her .... very nice half doors too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Are they still for sale?

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

When I was swapping in 57" Fords on my Jimmy I called ORD for some pointers. They told me at one point in time, they had put 56" GM springs on the Green Jimmy and the only modification necessary was to install the shackle flip brackets on the opposite side of the vehicle they are intended for and that gave them almost a perfect shackle angle.

FYI, I had to flip the brackets and move them back 2" to get my(stock length) shackle at the correct angle.

AS far as providing any lift, I don't know for sure, but I doubt they provide any significant amount of lift. You'll likely have to get the 2" lift springs.

Lance

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Echobit flip gave me close to 6".

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I like how they ride, esp. compared to the 10 leaf 1 ton packs I bought them to replace (I bought them for my K30, now they are in my K10....along with the D60 and 454...don't ask /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). I believe TCI rates the 56" springs a little stiffer than the 52's, 520 for the half ton vs. 540 or 560 for the 56's. Thats fine with me because they still ride pretty well and stiffer spring is that much more resistant to axlewrap. Also, I've carried about 1000 pounds in the bed and you could hardly tell it was there, other than the edge of bumps was softened a bit. And no, I don't believe that switching to the 56's will provide any more lift that what they are advertised for.
    For my purposes (an all around truck that can tow, DD, wheel, etc.) the 56's worked great.

9. Nitrodrip350

Nice thanks for the info, hopefully I will be able to use them if all goes well .....

Shane -