Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

shackle flip-after thoughts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Feb 19, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

...holy crap...

Thats all I can say. I never thought it could flex like that.

and for midnitewarya "flexy flexy flexy"

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

And you can still tow with them. I've been watching everyone saying they're to unstable to tow heavy things with them. This past week I had probably 3 tons of trailer with rock on it (no Wimpy's motor didn't like it much but no clattering) and I never got the sensation that I was in trouble. We were doin about 55, and all was well.

Stopping was kind of an adventure, but that's a whole different story.

3. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just got done putting a shackle flip on... still have yet to test it

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

That is probably my next step.After I finnish the disc brake swap...
    Glad to hear you're happy with it.:D

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Hardest part?

What would you say the hardest part was?

6. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any axle hop associated with shackle flips? I want to do it on a 1 ton Burb, and try to keep the rear axle in the stock location, or even 2" toward the rear (cutting out the fenders for low lift and 39.5" tires) just starting my 'research'. Thanks guys.

7. neverendingproject

Actually, I would say dropping the tank was the hardest. I just hit the rivet with a punch, drilled a pilot hole about 3/4 of an inch, and took the biggest bit I had and went to town. once the head pops off, just hit it with the punch again and its pops right out. once I got the tank off, it took me about 30 minutes to put the flip on.

8. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Not even funny. (well, kinda :wink1:)

And for everyones information, he does have a sweet shackle flip. And a sweet rear axle setup (14bsf, 6lug), and a sweet motor, and a sweet dash. That said, it's all in 1,000 pieces scattered around a hay barn. :D

Al

9. neverendingproject

:haha: :haha: Im tearing up, i havent laughed so hard in a long time... might have peed a little too :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I posted this in another shackle flip question post as well.

The biggest thing I have noticed with my shackle flip (DIY4X) is that the shackles pivot back and forth a lot more that the factory shackles did, which absorbs a lot of the stress on the suspension. With a factory set-up, the shackles pivot only a short distance before the spring starts to compress. With a shackle flip, the shackle pivots about twice as much before the spring starts to compress, which is why the ride is so much softer. When I hit a bump in my truck now, instead of bouncing straight up and down like it used to, now all I feel is very soft forward and backward rocking. It has taken some getting used to.

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Are these things any good for a DD/ part time trail application? or is for strict offroad use only?:D

12. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I will say this from my own personal experience... I have done the shackle flip on both of my Blazers and drive them both on the road, and if anything it makes the ride more pleasant. I dont have a problem with rear end sway or stability, but the ride is smother.
    I have nothing but good to say about the flip.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Huh???

Explain to me how "the shackle pivots about twice as much before the spring starts to compress". This just is not physically possible...........the spring has to compress (bend) one way or the other before the shackle can move..........

14. neverendingproject

Because the spring is pushing on the shackle and not pulling like it would be in the stock setup, it has more leverage on the shackle and therefore "pushes" the spring flat as it compresses instead of pulling it to an arched posotion when the shackle is below the spring.

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, you are correct. It is not possible for a shackle to pivot without some amount of spring compression.

The reason I make the statement is that, after I installed the shackle flip on my on one of my 1-tons, I had a 300 Pound friend of mine jump up and down on the back bumper of the 1-ton truck I have, which still has the stock spring hanger and shackle. I can see a lot more spring movement on this truck, but barely see any shackle movement

Then I had him do the same thing on the 1-ton, which has the shackle flip installed, and it is the complete opposite...the shackle pivots back and forth a lot, but I can barely see any spring movement.

Also, when I hit bumps in my truck with the shackle flip now, I can feel the truck moving much more in a "back and forth" movement than an "up and down" movement like it use to with the stock spring hanger and shackle.

16. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

SO heres a shackle flip question...Can I get one that won't lift my truck, or barly lift my truck? It sits as high as I want it, I like my front set up, but don't want the back to look like a 70s era camaro. Any ideas?

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What are you talking about? I was being somewhat sarcastic on my last reply..........and 1-ton gave a better explanation since.

When an arched spring (like the stock springs) compresses it goes towards being flat and therefore increases total length. Since the front mount is fixed it will always push back on the shackle whether it's in stock configuration or a flip. If you are talking about compression vs. tension, then leverage is leverage. The angle of the shackle in relationship to the spring is what can make the shackle move at more of an angle.

18. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Oh Yea...Sorry for the hijack...

19. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can get a 2.5" shackle flip from ORD.

20. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I think that you would have to build a custom flip kit yourself ... never heard of one to keep stock high ... most people want some lift.